Monday, October 16, 2017

I Should Have More to Show You

I have had a busy day.  I did a lot of things.  How come I don't have more stuff to show you?  I don't know.

First thing, Todd, the handyman, showed up to replace the old, falling apart fence with a shiny new one.  Being a strong and helpful woman I offered to help him get the 6 foot by 8 foot piece of fence from his trailer around the house to the patio area.  Good thing I spent nearly 25 years hauling 40 lb. SCUBA tanks, one in each hand, from the back of the store to the front of the store and back.  I'm pleased that he was able to save the shelf that Dad put on there to hold four flower pots.

Being Monday, I took myself to the bank to cash a check for the week's grocery money.  Then I went to ransom a whole bag full of prescriptions (why do they always run out at the same time?) and to the library to pick up a knitting mystery novel (a real book with paper pages) that I don't remember reserving.  I also went to Home Depot for some pre-mixed concrete that DIL1 told me about because I am determined to fill in the hole in the garage floor that I keep almost tripping over.  The stuff the guy sold me is really cool.  It's a two-part package, kind of like epoxy, one side has the dry cement and the other has the liquid.  I was thinking I'd have to get some primer-type stuff to make the new concrete stick to the old stuff but evidently it's already in there, and I don't even need a trowel because it's self-leveling.  It's supposed to be warmer later in the week so that's when I'll get dressed in clothes I can ruin and play with it.  Looking forward to it.

Late in the afternoon I finally made it downstairs to sew.  Got the neck binding and one armhole binding sewn on.  (so much simpler than facings)  I suspect that I don't have enough of the white single-fold bias tape to do the other arm but I have no problem using another color.  You know me and matching things.  I don't really care, especially something that's on the wrong side of things.

Oh, I know what I did today.  I called the lawn mowing guy asking him to come one more time and he asked about the "leaf situation" so I spent an hour or so raking both front yards which was a good thing because it was really wet under the leaves.  And then he didn't make it today but that means the grass will be nice and dry for when he does come.  I noticed that the leaf collecting truck came today so the raking was a good idea all around.  Oh, I feel better now that I didn't lose part of my day.

October 16--Anonymous, Kublai Khan.  The round-faced Chinese man sat happily in the center seat of Row 17.  He smiled a welcome to everyone sidestepping down the aisle toward him.  Few of the passengers returned his smile and many of them were relieved not to be assigned Seat A or C so as not to be stuck with a friendly seatmate for the six-hour flight.  The plane slowly filled but the seats on either side of him remained empty.  Just as the head flight attendant and the gate agent met to close the door and move the jetway, a young mother towing a sniffling toddler ran down the slanted ramp and squeezed through the door.  "Row 17?" she said, "Seats A & C?"

We got a call last Friday that some friends from Indiana that we haven't seen in ages would be coming through Green Bay tomorrow.  They called today and will be here just after lunch and are spending the night.  Woohoo!  That meant a trip to the grocery for some spareribs, BBQ sauce, coleslaw, Italian bread, and the makings of cherry crisp.  I will confess that not one item in those bags shows its face in any self-respecting WW menu but it's something I can make in the crockpot and not have to spend the hours cooking when I could be swishing out the bathroom, moving piles of magazines, and then spending lots of time visiting with friends.  I'm warning you right now, I might not make it to the keyboard tomorrow.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I'm giving you an excused absence if you don't show up tomorrow. Nice to have overnight visitors -- especially if you haven't seen them in a while. Lots of catching up to do. New fence looks very sturdy and neat.