Thursday, October 26, 2017

Did You Miss Me?

 

I ran away today.  Not far and not for too long but run away I did.  My friend KS's dad is in broken hip rehab in Sturgeon Bay and he had a doc's appointment in the late afternoon so we met for lunch (Blue Front Cafe--curried chicken salad sandwiches) and spent the afternoon sitting and knitting in Spin which is indeed closing around the end of the year.  The owner is retiring and so far no one's stepped up to buy the biz.



It wasn't sunny.  It wasn't warm.  But that's no reason to stay home and pout.  I put on my new black & white Dress No. 1 with black leggings, a black long-sleeved t-shirt, and my color-striped shrug/sweater and drove away.  I looked good, stayed warm, and enjoyed the quiet afternoon in a room filled to the brim with yarn fumes--and I didn't buy a skein.  I was tempted by some brown tweedy wool but remembered in the nick of time that a carton of yarn came in the mail a couple weeks ago so I really don't need any more yarn. (I know that yarn is more of a want item than a need item but I resisted all temptations *pats self on back*)  I knitted the latest sock up to the heel flap and put it aside so I didn't screw it up by trying to talk and count at the same time.


Last night I cast on a replacement pink Pussycat Hat for LC.  I was figuring out the placement of the words that I want to duplicate stitch embroider on our hats (Smart, Kind, Strong, Brave) and by cutting back stitches to make a smaller one for LC a few months back now there aren't enough stitches to make the letters.  So I decided to go down a couple needle sizes and cast on the same number of stitches so I get a smaller hat with the right number of places to make the words.  It's getting colder so it's time to get a move on and finish these hats.


I did buy something today (besides lunch) but it was a new wallet.  I stopped at the Target on my way out of Sturgeon Bay and found just the thing I've been looking for since the teeth of the zipper on my old one stopped staying together reliably.  It's probably meant to be a clutch since it has a wrist strip clipped to a D-ring on one side but I took that off and, VOILA!, it's a wallet.  It's sort of red orange (not as yellow as it looks--darned flash that didn't flash) so it won't be getting lost in the bottom of my purse like the black one always did.

October 26--John Singer Sargent, A Boating Party.  Shannon sat on the riverbank just down from the boat dock.  It was a gorgeous late summer day and the river was as busy with boats as the interstate was with cars.  A party of six, three young men and three young women, walked down from the boathouse.  The men carried oars, the women carried PFDs and picnic coolers.  Shannon thought that they looked like they weren't too familiar with boats and, as Granddad said, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing especially on the water.  Watching the men try to get the oars into the oarlocks without tipping themselves into the water was entertaining.  Hearing the girly shrieks of the women as the boats rocked made her think it would be a good idea to alert Search & Rescue before they even untied from the dock.

Okey-dokey.  I'm going to go break out my needle and thread to sew more pretties on that bag I'm making for LC.  Hasta manana, babies.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I have that same problem with my wallet getting lost in my handbag. Both are black and I'm always rummaging around in there and thinking I've lost my wallet. I plan to buy a new bag though -- without a black lining. Don't want to give up my neat black wallet. Xmas gift from Sallie years ago and it always reminds me of her. Sounds like you had a nice runaway day.