Thursday, October 12, 2017

Now For The Bling

Last month I mentioned to LC that I wanted to make a bag for OJ since he slips anything that can act like a handle over his arm (giant reusable shopping bag, lap tray leg, etc.) and staggers around with it.  She said, "I need a bag too, Meemaw."  So I asked her what kind of bag she wanted.  She said, "Fancy."  Beads? "Yes." Flowers? "Yes." Butterflies? "Yes." Feathers? "Yes." So I cruised the clearance racks in the bling department at Joann Fabric & Crafts and came home with all kinds of goodies.  I scrounged around in my fabric stash and came up with a remnant of flowered denim with a pink background and one with baby blue background, neither one enough to make the entire bag, and, wouldn't you know, I had enough pink webbing for the handles.  (the stash is a miracle sometimes) So one side of the bag is the blue fabric and the other side of the bag is pink.  Tonight my needle and heavy thread and I will be adding gems, glittery flower buttons, multicolored butterfly buttons, and then for the piece de resistance I have white marabou with silver in it to stitch around the top.  Fancy is what she wants so fancy is what she'll get.


Now for the miracle.  This morning I sat myself down on the couch, before I showered, and I finished the last few garter ridges of Sudoku Long Strip #2, bound it off, and clipped the strip to the right side of Panel #2.  Tomorrow night at Friday Night Knitting I'll crochet them together and maybe make a start on crocheting the other side to Panel #3.  Then all I'll have to do is figure out what I want to do about the edge.  Whatever I do it will be done long before the project's 10th birthday.  (I'm far from the family Work In Progress record, though.  Mom started an embroidered applique quilt when she was pregnant with me and finished it a couple weeks before my 19th birthday.  You're still the champ, Mom.) 


 
I got a call one day last week from a diving friend whose mom went into a nursing home and whose sister, in searching for and collecting family photos, gathered up fabric, yarn, magazines, and patterns.  My friend knows that I do crafty things so she asked if I wanted it.  I told her she was welcome to bring it all over and I'd deal with it--keep it or donate it or toss it--so she doesn't have to.  (I'm nice like that, especially when yarn and fabric are involved.)  I'm going to donate the yarn to a couple friends who make lap robes and dog blankets for charity but I'm keeping the fabric.  Look at this.  It's I-don't-know-how-many little packs of fat quarters of cotton quilt fabric.  This is great stuff if you're a quilter and I've seen plenty of patterns for bags and other doodads using them but I also thought there's no reason I can't sew a bunch of them together and make yardage to make bigger things.  In another bag there's bigger pieces of fabric.  This one caught my eye immediately.  It's cows.  That is totally going to make a shirt for me or at least a yoke, sleeves, and pockets.  I love it.  Thank, BD.

For the final bit of making today Durwood and I collaborated this afternoon on a pot of Sweet Potato & Corn Chowder.  It smells great.  We're having it for supper.  I can't wait. (Sorry about the oddball color of the soup.  It's really not that yellow, more of a creamy yellow-ish white.  Stoopid camera.)





October 12--Paul Braq and Rudolf Uhlenhaupt, Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe.  Randall had a permanent lump on the right side of his forehead.  He secretly thought that he was too tall for his car but he would never say it out loud.  Every time he got into it he hit his head on the curved gullwing door and always in the very same spot.  The sleek lines of the 300SL were beautiful and he knew the silver color made it look modern and fast even when standing still but those doors were a pain.  Awkward to open and close, and they didn't fit right.  There was just enough of a gap between the door and the frame that when he drove over 60 mph the wind sang through the gap.  This was a car that begged to go fast so he tried to ignore the whistle.

Happy actual Columbus Day!  I harbor a low-grade annoyance at the federal government for juggling around traditional holidays to give themselves 3-day weekends.  I hear that some states and cities are changing Columbus Day to Native American Day.  I like that idea but I like what Canadians call their native peoples--First Nations--better than Native Americans.  Time to reheat our soup and see if all the chopping and stirring was worth it.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Can't believe all the neat stuff that has come your way lately -- all that yarn and now all that fabric. Of course you'll have fun doing something clever with it. Down here, Columbus Day has been called Indigenous People Day! "Indigenous" -- hard to say and harder even to spell.