Saturday, October 14, 2017

Good Timing

Today started out sunny and things went downhill from there.  At around noon-ish I decided that getting prepared for the arrival of the handyman on Monday who will be replacing the privacy screen fence which is showing every one of its thirty-some years was the thing to do.  I attempted to replace the broken and missing pickets last summer but they don't make stockade-type fence panels anymore and no one has loose pickets either.  I'd have been willing to buy a whole one to deconstruct and have replacement pickets on hand but, no-o-o-o-o, they only have the flat 1 X 4s with their corners sawed off.  So I've got a guy coming Monday to put in a whole new fence.  I will be keeping the shelf that Dad put on there where I can nestle pots of flowers to pretty up the fence.  The most fun was taking out the lopping shears and giving the old honeysuckle its winter haircut and then dragging the sticks down to the curb for the stick truck to pick up the next time it comes by.  As soon as I had all my choppers and gloves and tarps put away it started to rain and it hasn't let up much since.  Like I said, good timing.

My plan for the afternoon was to go downstairs and cut out a couple three more of those tunic dresses.  I decided to wash that cow fabric from BD's mom so I dug through the bag to see what other treasures were in there.  I struck gold.  There are a few one yard pieces of Charlie Brown fabric that will make cute grandkid shorts.  Quite a bit of the fabric is small lengths of cotton in small prints and that old-barn red and dark blue that reminds me of Early American decor.  I'll find a use for it or maybe donate it to someone who makes quilts for charity.  The "gold" is in the form of this yard of turquoise fabric with swirly lines on it that if you look at it carefully are actually faces and about 3 or 4 yards of this crazy bright yellow floral--and it's stretchy.  It felt odd when I pulled it out of the bag, kind of like cheap upholstery fabric, but a run through the washer and dryer improved it immensely.  And I don't even use fabric softener.  (hate the waxy feel of it and the smell that never seems to go away--ugh)  This is totally going to make one wild Dress No. 1 that I can't wait to get cut and sewn up.  I'll probably look like an escaped hot-air balloon but I will love it.






I got one Dress cut out of a black and white floral linen blend and I plan to go downstairs once I hit "Publish" and cut out another one using this floral linen for the yoke and the navy linen blend for the skirt of another Dress.  I'm making these full length this time, just for variety.





You wish you had been here for supper tonight.  Durwood paged through the latest AllRecipes mag the other day and found this recipe for Braised Balsamic Chicken so I made it for supper.  As an accompaniment I made orzo (little rice-shaped pasta) that I tucked a sprig of fresh thyme from the garden into as it cooked.  It was delicious--and the best news is that we've got enough for two more nights' suppers. 


October 14--Edgar Degas, Harlequin & Columbina.  It didn't start as other love affairs do.  He loved her, she refused to see him, not even for a coffee date.  Eventually even he saw the futility of his unrequited love and looked elsewhere for solace.  Not surprisingly, once he was gone and interested in another dancer she missed him.

Isn't that the way it goes?  Okay, I want to get this posted and get back downstairs to cut out one more Dress before my eyes slam shut.  Did I mention that Durwood woke me up at 5:45 this morning because he couldn't find the edge of the bed?  Directions are hard in the dark.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your closet isn't going to be able to hold all those dresses planned for your winter wardrobe. Nice to have all that to look forward to on a rainy day. That chicken recipe sounded and looked delicious. I checked it out in that magazine too but don't think it would go over well here. Not with my picky eater. Darn it! Happy new fence. The old one did look like it had given up the ghost.