Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Bagged

I like snacks.  A lot.  Sweet and salty ones about equally.  I also have very little self-control when it comes to snacks.  Sweet or salty, makes no difference.  So every once in a while I stop at the Dollar Tree for a couple boxes of snack size zipper bags, then at ALDI for pretzels, caramel rice cakes, and animal crackers.  Then I sit at the table and put 2 WW points worth of whatever bag I have open into snack bags.  I have a plastic canister in the pantry cupboard where I put some of them and the rest goes into a 2.5 gallon zipper bag below.  I can grab a bag of pretzel twists, a cheese stick, some baby carrots, and a clementine for a quick lunch.

But today I had better food for lunch.  DS called me early Monday morning to say that he'd been left without a car key, asking if I had a spare.  I did so I quick got dressed and ran it over to him.  He swapped me the key for a little bag of the pulled smoked pork he made last weekend.  We have a bowl of the BBQ sauce left from the ribs we did in the crockpot last week so I spooned a tiny bit of sauce on a little of the pork, heated it, and enjoyed it immensely on a slice of Italian bread.  Mmm.


After lunch I went downstairs and finished the latest version of Dress No. 1.  When I went to bed last night I figured out how to use red bias binding to edge the pockets instead of just turning the top over.  Now I have to hope that the red doesn't run in the wash.  (I used black on the neck but red on the armholes because I ran out of black.)



A few weeks back a knitting friend trolled the craft bookshelves at Goodwill and brought in this book called "Pop Knitting."  It had the most amazing, crazy projects and ideas in it, I almost bought it just to look at the pictures but it was $5.99 which was too much for a whim.  Last Friday she found it on the clearance shelf for 79 cents.  I bought it.  I cannot imagine wearing any of these sweaters but I sure like looking at them.  The red cardi has holes bound in white and the navy cardi is strips of knitting tied together with knitted cords.  Very strange, but amusing.



October 25--American Stereoscopic Company, Rats! Rats!! Rats!!!  It was just one rat and not a very big or fierce one and the Jamison sisters were standing on chairs.  The rat had crept out of the basket Mathers had brought in from the garden.  He'd left it in the hall while he went to fetch a light bulb for the parlor lamp.  Claire had seen it first.  She dropped her mending and popped up on her chair, her skirts up nearly to her knees.  Her stocking were plaid.  Mabel looked up to see Claire fly up onto her chair and the rat scampered away from her.  Mabel seemed to levitate onto her chair, skirts in hand, striped stockings on display.  "What are you doing?" Amy asked, then the rat ran over her shoes and she too leaped up to stand on her sewing stool.  Her stockings had a diamond pattern on them.  That's how Mathers found them when he returned with the bulb, three young women standing on their chairs with their skirts hiked up, ankles exposed.  He thought that he had never seen such well-turned ankles.  He paused to admire them before easily capturing the rat.  "I'm sorry Reggie scared you young ladies.  He don't mean no harm."

Hey look, I'm almost done with this blog post and it's still light outside.  Way to go, Barbara.  I don't want to scare anyone but two months from today is, well, Christmas.  Ack!  DS, DD, DIL1, and SIL1, gift ideas, please.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

If you could make that Suduko afghan large enough to nearly cover the world, you could make one of those clever sweaters. You know you could -- but maybe it would take a long, long -- very long time! Cute top. Love the touch of red.