Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Feels Like Summer

I had big plans for yesterday.  I was going to sew all day, do nothing else.  Well, that plan crashed when yesterday was the only day Durwood could get an appointment he needed so that kind of shot the morning.  I had gotten a couple packages of thighs out of the freezer to grill for supper so I made some teriyaki marinade using a recipe I got from a high school friend's mom about 45 years ago.  It's still the best.

I sewed in the afternoon and evening and got LC's tepee about 3/4 done.  The sewists among you might notice that the seam allowances are on the outside and it was hard for me to do it that way but rod pockets go over them to hold the poles that make the tepee stand up so this way the inside looks "finished" too.  This is the first time I made my own bias binding.  It wasn't too hard, just took a lot of stooping over the ironing board and pinning, so hard on my back but it went on like a dream.  The round window flap Velcros up inside for a look-out and the doors will get Velcro to hold them open.  I think it's going to be darling and I hope she likes it.

I looked out this morning to see the first poppy blooming.  Yay!  Poppies!  Are you hearing the Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz in your head too? 

June 10--Jeff Foott, Yellowstone Lake, Yellowstone NP, WY.  The edge of the lake boiled.  Claire sat and watched it.  Watched the streams of little silver bubbles bend around rocks and then turn into large belches that roiled the silty yellow-brown lake bottom for a few minutes before subsiding.  All was quiet for a time but soon the silver streams would twine around each other and the cycle began again.  She sat in the same spot for a few hours every day.  Instead of trying to see everything in the park she chose this one small part to immerse herself, take in all the sounds, sights, and smells of this small piece of lake and shore.

Time to go grab some lunch, do a little more sewing, then I've got an oil change.  Later.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

She's going to love that tent! What a wonderful grandma you are. Remember making a tent with a sheet over a card table? This is sooooo much better. She is one lucky little gal!!!