Monday, July 15, 2013

I Don't Loll Well

Remember that was one of my choices for activities yesterday but once again I've discovered that I just don't loll well.  I keep finding things to do, little things that nibble away the day.  Once I'd posted to the blog I did go and organize, weigh, and measure out my lunches for this week.  (We've got sundried tomato breast on lightly toasted whole wheat sandwich thins with honey mustard, 1/4 cup of lima bean dip with carrot chips, and a cup of fresh pineapple and blueberries per day.)  Then I tried lolling again but Durwood asked me if I was going out and I remembered that Hancock Fabrics has moved to Oneida St. and it was their grand opening weekend so I got dressed (see how serious I was about lolling? I hadn't gotten dressed) and went off.  Durwood's parting comment was, "as long as you're going that direction, will you please pick up my prescription."  Hmm, d'you think he maneuvered me into going?  Nah, probably not.  Anyway, the new Hancock is smaller and therefore more crowded but it's down in the "shopping corridor" between JoAnn Fabrics and Hobby Lobby so maybe it'll get more business.  It's farther away from me but easier to get to.  My intention was only to buy some waistband elastic (see? I was still thinking I'd make that skirt) and I found it right away but then I flipped through the bolts on drastic clearance and found a couple fishy ones.  DS & DIL1 said they were thinking of an underwater theme for the nursery so I figured I could risk $10 on a panel and some yardage, so I did.  By the time I got home it was time to think about supper.

I'd culled out the oldest meat from the freezer and brought it upstairs on Friday.  Most of it was ground beef, so I thawed out some to make burgers on the grill.  I thought I'd make potato cakes, kind of like a cross between hash browns and potato pancakes, to put under the burgers instead of a bun (all that blah bread) and found recipes in the WW cookbooks.  The potato pancakes were most like what I was thinking of so I made those, and they turned out pretty good.  Durwood cut up fresh broccoli for a veggie, minced a scallion for the potato cakes, and diced onion and red bell pepper to mix into the meat.  I got to do the cooking and grilling.  Most of the time he cooks so I enjoyed it a lot, and I even managed to get it all done at the same time.  (I've still got it!)  And there's enough for another meal.  We love leftovers.  We
shared an orange after the table was cleared as we do every night.  So I didn't sew and I barely lolled but, all in all, it was a good, relaxing day.

This morning I went out to fill the birdbath and take pictures of the blooming flowers.  I tried to take pictures of the busy bees in the purple spiderwort but they were moving too fast.  One of them had its leg pouches stuffed full of bright orange pollen; it looked like it had saddlebags.  Today's pictures are today's flowers.  Dad's roses smell glorious and there are so many blooms this year.  Look what normal amounts of rain and a winter cold enought to kill off the Japanese beetles does.  Gorgeous!

July 15--Georges Demeny, Fencer.  Parry.  Thrust.  Riposte.  En garde.  That's all I know about fencing, that and epee which is in three or four out of the dozen crossword puzzles I do every week.  An epee is a thin sword, a blunt sword, a sword for sport not for fighting.  I don't understand why people fence.  I suppose it's good exercise but it's a sport that teaches people how to kill one another.  What's fun about that?  Oh, I know that martial arts, Tae Kwon Do and Judo and the like, are ways to fight but they are defensive.  Fencing is offensive.  Fencers learn where to poke their swords to score points.  Points are scored where you can hurt or kill someone.  Martial arts is all about diverting momentum, defusing the fight.  I don't understand wanting to learn to fight, to kill.  I just don't get it.

All-righty then, that's certainly a ramble.  I'm off to chase down some breakfast, read the paper, shower, dress, make sure Durwood doesn't nap too long, and go to work.  Work, work, work, but it's also payday.  Yay for payday!  What are you doing today?  No, I really want to know.  Please comment.  I suspect that you're out there and every once in a while someone besides Aunt B comments.  I like it when you comment.  (would you like cheese with that whine? sorry but I get lonely; it's big in here)  Have a day.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

As requested, here's my day: Trip downtown with Paul, Ben, Eli & Leo to check out the antique shops in a quest to find some kind of antique (old) tool for Ben. Walk along the Cape Fear River so the boys can see the Battleship and the Coast Guard cutter tied up down there. Maybe a boat ride on the ICWW this morning -- only because the boat needs gas. Famous NC barbeque for dinner!!