Thursday, July 5, 2012

LaLa's Back!


You are back, aren't you, Lala?  You didn't get sucked into the morass of White Lake, did you?  Didn't paint yourself into a corner and the paint won't dry in this humidity?  I really missed you, missed our email conversations when I'm at work, missed your clear head when mine is fogged.  Not that I was particularly foggy or any foggier than on any other random 5 days, but I missed you being there with your sassy comebacks and calming words.  Funny how we can each be calm for the other one and not so much for ourselves.  Good thing we met, god, how many years ago?  6?  7?  8?  I don't know.  When's the first time you came to TC?  Lordy, I remember the first time I laid eyes on you, you sat across from me at supper on Sunday, I was on Erik's left and you were on his right, and you tried to serve yourself some salad before the reading.  (gasp!)  You were half trashed from your long drive and I was intrigued by the way you talked; then when I found out that you smoked too, I was in love.  Still am even though neither of us smokes anymore (somedays I miss it, mostly I don't)--in a best friends kind of way, that is.  Nothing ooky going on, nope, nothing to see here.  Move along.  Did you have a good 4th, everyone?  Mine was quiet.  DS called to see if I wanted to go to the fireworks with them but it was just too hot (heat index was 105 at 7 PM and it wasn't supposed to get much cooler overnight), muggy, and still to even think about going down there, having to park god knows how many blocks away, and then sit there getting chewed up by skeeters.  Nope, I took a pass.  Durwood found the Boston Pops Fireworks on TV so we watched that (we muted it when Jennifer Houston sang; she was awful, screechy and with lots of distracting boobage), it was good, not as good as being there in person, but better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick.  Today it's supposed to be even hotter, muggier, and still today, so I think Durwood might skip his rehab since he can't breathe well in the hot.  Better be safe than sorry.  He can go next Thursday.  I just heard Pete Petoniak say it's supposed to get to 99 today.  99!  Good grief.  And I have to work.  I can't wait until I have to get back into my car/oven to drive home after 5.  (Ooh, wait, Beverly has a remote start.  I can leave the a/c cranked when I get out this morning and fire it up 10 minutes before closing time.  I'm a genius!) It's supposed to sink back to normal (80-ish) by Saturday.  Whew.  Today's Photo A Day is "on the floor."  There's not much interesting stuff on my floor anymore now that we don't have any rug rats so I put my camera on the floor and snapped my knitting pile by where I sit on the couch in the evenings.  It's actually rather sparse and cleaned up; that area can get uber-heaped up when I'm knitting a lot and starting project after project.  I kind of like this different perspective.

July 5--Florine Stettheimer, The Cathedrals of Broadway.  The vast dark of the theater made her feel safe.  Once the house lights went down she felt it wrap around her, hold he4r in its embrace.  The scratchy maroon plush seat moaned when she sat down and her feet stuck to the floor but she was glad that the urban rehab money had run out before it got to the Rialto.  No one had scrubbed out the scent of ancient popcorn and spilled cola.  The smell of crushed candies still hit her when she pushed through the doors.  She felt welcomed by it all.  She snuggled into a more comfortable position as "Coming Attractions" flashed on the big screen.  She never noticed the pale man who sat behind her, didn't feel his eyes on her.  It was only when his cold hand circled her throat and drew her upright in her seat did she try to cry out.  By then it was too late.

Is there a "pervs" discount at the movies?  I remember those shadowy figures when I was a kid.  Ugh, creepy.  Well.  On that happy note, have a great Thursday, peoples.  Stay cool.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

So bummed that you don't like Jennifer Hudson (not Houston)! I love her! Always have since her stint on American Idol. But nice that you watched the fireworks in the comfort of your own living room. We sat out on our deck and watched a beautiful display from Figure Eight Island across the ICWW. Then that huge full moon came up. We even had a breeze -- but now I'm gloating!! But it was a great evening.