Monday, August 31, 2026

How Hot Was It?

It was so hot today that this squirrel melted. It must have felt cool laying on its belly on the concrete because it laid there for quite a while. Seeing a squirrel like that makes me laugh.

 


While one squirrel was melting, another one was dangling from its hind feet nibbling corn kernels. It has taken them no time at all to strip all the kernels off one cob and get a great start on the other cob.

 

I was lucky enough to see a Downy Woodpecker on the suet nuggets. It was busily pecking away, turning its head this way and that, having a good snack.

 


It took some thought to figure out what to put on the gratitude journal page for yesterday. I spent time working on the outline and then I folded the basket of clean laundry and put it away. All on the same day! Imagine that.

 

I got a shipment of books this afternoon. All of them were in one HEAVY carton. Twenty novels and ten novellas weighs a lot. I could barely lift it off the porch and carry it in to put on the table to unpack it. But I got them all autographed, stickered, and bookmarked so they're ready to be sold when I need them. I have my first vendor show in about a month so I'm ready. Not that I was out of any titles but it takes a couple weeks to get author copies so I don't like to have low stock.



While I sat watching TV tonight I added a few rounds to the Pale Orange Chemo Hat. I don't have enough of this color to knit the whole hat so once I get the ribbing done I'll make a darker orange stripe. It'll look good, I promise.

 

 I read a Substack article about writing a novel series today so I took the author's advice and started a Series Bible. If I plan to write a few books with these characters and this setting (and I do), I need to get things like physical descriptions and character traits down in one place so I don't have a brown eyed sleuth in one book and have the same person's eyes change to green in another one. It was fun to gather all the info for my main characters, brainstorming what they like to wear, read, and do for fun and work. I need to do the same for minor characters that will continue from book to book too. Then I'll reread the article to see what to do next. All this learning is kinda fun.

 


I didn't feel like drawing a flower or a bird today so I opened my library in Creativebug to find a simple drawing class I could restart. The first lesson is Tree, as you can see. I think the one on the left looks like it's in a strong wind but I especially like the one on the right.

 

I'm staying indoors as much as possible. It got up to 90 today and is dreadfully humid. It's supposed to be that way tomorrow and maybe Wednesday. We'll see if I can stay home, although I have a Guild meeting tomorrow night and I'm down to one banana, so maybe not.

--Barbara 

No comments: