Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Birds Big & Small

I'll start with the biggest, the Turkey. I was eating breakfast and this huge dark shape stalked into view. It's so big, it's no wonder they can barely fly. Although once on the highway I saw one fly out of the weeds on the side of the road and fly smack dab into the side of a semi trailer. It did not end well for the bird.

 


Next smallest was the camera-shy Red-bellied Woodpecker. I waited and waited hoping it would shift positions so I could see more than the top of its head but it stubbornly stayed on the back side of the suet nuggets feeder.

 

Then there was a juvenile Cardinal that hopped across the patio and just when I thought I'd missed it, it flew up to land on the edge of the patio table so I got this blurry shot of it. I haven't seen a Cardinal in along time.

 


A Downy Woodpecker flew to land on the birdbath for a nice drink. I was afraid that the Sparrow on there would scare it away but it stood its ground and stayed.

 

Twice today I saw a Hummingbird, and twice today it flew away long before I had the camera up and ready, so this is a picture from the  archives representing the birds that I saw.

 


Here's yesterday's gratitude journal page. I was mostly grateful that the rain held off until almost bedtime because it would have been a real difficult job for N and F to install the new air conditioner next door in the rain. Also I was grateful that my cleaning lady came.

 

In the afternoon, I worked on formatting Sailing the Seas on Atticus for uploading to Kindle Create. I also formatted it on  Kindle Create to see which one I like better. I think Atticus wins. It's more user-friendly and it doesn't scare me by pausing with the message "not responding" every once in a while.

 


The drawing today is Juniper. When I turned the page I thought it was blueberries but they don't have needle-like leaves, and then it said juniper on top of the page. Usually I don't like fussy things to draw like those needles but this evening I liked drawing them. Go figure. The camera didn't flash so the picture is dull and yellowish. In person it's bright white paper and colorful berries and leaves.

 

I added two rounds to Scrap Hat #8 tonight. Two more even rounds and then it's on to the crown decreases. I was happy to see a bit of orange show up to liven up the neutrals I've got going on.

 

I broke down and did laundry today. Three loads--darks, lights, and the bleach load of towels, undies, and socks. Lots of undies and socks. I even carried up the basket of clean laundry. It'll sit around for a while waiting to get folded. Don't want to rush into anything. 

--Barbara 

No comments: