Monday, June 5, 2023

A Light Bulb Moment

I listened to an author interview on an audiobook the other day and something that he said stuck in my head. The interviewer remarked that one of the characters spoke in 1st person but the rest of them did not. He used her to convey information quickly in the form of diary entries. I was most intrigued by how using two different points of view worked. I talked the idea over with cda yesterday and decided to go for it. So I spent today cobbling together 1st person and 3rd person segments of The Seaview 2 to see if it made me happier with what I've written. One thing it did was give me back some scenes that I really liked, that were interesting, but were out of the view of the 1st person character. Next I'll read through it and separate the POVs into chapters or sections and see how that works. Fingers crossed.



I've had a hankering for grilled meat lately so I went to the grocery last night and bought a family pack of boneless skinless chicken breasts that I marinated in homemade teriyaki marinade overnight. This afternoon I fired up the Weber and grilled the meat. I'm happy to say that I didn't overcook it and dry it out. I had a big lunch so I just sawed off a small piece of one of the breasts to sample. It was good. I'll have supper for a couple weeks from this pile of yumminess.


While the meat was grilling I pulled out my sketchbook and drew two figures from each of the last three pages of 20 Ways to Draw a Tree--butterflies, root vegetables, and citrus fruits. This doesn't mean that I am totally finished with this book but now I've drawn one from each page. I feel that I'm good for now.



One of the Mourning Doves posed on top of a crook this afternoon. It just sat up there looking around as if expecting someone to take its picture so I did.


Then I pulled out Dr. Seuss's Book of Animals and drew the next creature, this one with no teeth, and the little girl that's watching it yawn. I can't tell you how many times I yawned while drawing this. Yawns are so contagious!


And that's it. Today was the monthly St. Agnes Class of '65 lunch so I went and overate a chicken quesadilla which is why I skipped supper. The rest of the afternoon I spent working on that manuscript. Didn't knit, didn't paint, barely watched TV. A quiet day.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

The peanut wreath looks like a halo around the mourning dove. Very arty!! How great to get that suggestion from another author. Having diary entries throughout your book will make it more fun to read. I always love reading someone's diary -- even when it's my own!!!