Thursday, February 28, 2019

So Much Better

 


I realized this morning that I needed to go out to fill a few birdfeeders sometime today so, when I came in from the Y, I changed into my better boots, strapped on my snowshoes and went out to fill things up.  Today's feeder filling went worlds better than last week's slog through knee-deep snow.  As you can see I sunk about 4 inches, not 14, so getting around to the feeders was a snap.  And I was surprised at how much taller I was, or maybe the birdfeeder crooks got shorter.  Instead of reaching up and peering over the edge to fill the platform feeder, I looked down upon it which made filling it much simpler.  And it isn't cold enough for my gloves to freeze to my fingers.



 


It was a bird day.  First thing I heard knocking and saw that the male Downy Woodpecker was having his breakfast at the seed wreath.


 




Then heralded by his raucous squawk the Bluejay swooped in to grab a suet pellet from the platform feeder...



 

followed by the Red-Bellied Woodpecker.  As soon as I'd refilled that platform feeder a Nuthatch showed up too.  These last two are why I invest in suet pellets and dried mealworms.  Not all birds are attracted to seeds and I hope to plant a couple native berry-bearing bushes this summer to attract more.




Tonight I added an inch or so to the foot of the Zauber Campfire sock.  I need about 3 more inches of foot before I add waste yarn and plunge on to the second Afterthought Everything sock.


My session with the trainer was just as I predicted--hot, sweaty, and humbling.  Most of the things I could do but a couple of them that involved my left ankle being strong and supportive needed some modification.  I'd like to continue but at $30/session it's a little pricey.  Maybe they'll have a sale.  I popped a couple Tylenol when I got home and I'll definitely be having more for a bedtime snack.  Hopefully my ankle will start getting stronger.  My balance is much better since I've started.

28 February--Tropical Obsession. 

From the sea, the land looked almost flat. No gentle hills or rises marred the symmetry of the island. It looked like a stack of very thin pancakes. The dark gray, greenish black of the ironshore rocks were the bottom layer, battered and scored by the relentless waves. Then came the pale bleached coral rubble, tossed with abandon into drifts imitating snow. On top of the island pancake were the stunted trees and the tall candle cactus that played host to the fruit bats and the little lorikeets that flew in green, squawking pairs ahead of any cars driving down the lonely straight blacktop road that traversed that end of the island. Not the most inviting island view but a nice change from the unrelenting blue of the sea.

Today's toss was Durwood's briefcase from his hypnosis practice that closed in 1993.  Did I mention that he didn't ever want to throw things away?  I put the papers in the recycling bin, the binders in the trash, and the case in the car to be donated.  What treasures will turn up tomorrow?
--Barbara 

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your tracks in the snow look much better than the ones in the knee-deep layer last time you slogged out there. Still a lot of snow. Be sure to post a picture of your clever way to knit two socks in one fell swoop before you separate them. Glad you're still tossing but don't overdo it. Rest that ankle every now and then.