Friday, March 1, 2019

4-Star Finished!

I did it!  This morning I folded the newspaper in half and tackled the 4-star Sudoku--and solved it.  It didn't take me all day either.  Hooray!  I felt so smart, especially after I covered the Jumble (which I couldn't figure out) with my coffee mug.  I spent the rest of the morning working on spiffing up three first pages and getting them in the mail to the Writers' Institute Page or Poem Contest.  I have no clue what I'd win if I won which I probably won't, it just says "prizes awarded."  Personally I'm hoping for a smiley face or an OK on one of them.



It's snowing again (arrgh!) but I don't think we're supposed to get much.  This morning the sun was out for a short while and I thought you'd like to see how deep the snow is around the birdseed cans.  The cans are about 2 feet tall.  Behind the end one are stacked the rectangular planters so it's not all snow back there but I feel that this is plenty snow.




This afternoon I went over to CS's house along with a clutch of other knitters and learned to knit two-color brioche in the round.  I am by no means proficient at it and I certainly can't fix any booboos I might make but I am very pleased with how it looks and how I'm doing.  Of course my fingers ache from the death grip I've had on my knitting needles most of the day.  But we had a lot of laughs, got better acquainted, and learned something new.  A successful day.




Tonight I sewed a little jet button I found downstairs on the teeny tiny purse I knitted this week.  Isn't it just the cutest thing?  I think that the purse is too big, I'll make the next one smaller.





1 March--Tropical Obsession. 

Deep under the water the treasure lay waiting. Waiting for hands to take it up, to pull it into the light and air after centuries spent on the bottom under a pile of timbers. The sea had done its best to claim the treasure for its own. Queen angelfish hovered over it, delicately nibbling on the algae-filled coral polyps that obscured the outline through the years. In a very short time the human taint was diluted in the sea. All that remained was the cold metallic tang and the sharp sap of the planks crushed by being driven onto the reef by a long-forgotten storm. Silver blackened and welded together by the salt water held the shape of containers long dissolved or rotted away but the gold lay as yellow and gleaming as the day it was smuggled aboard.

Maybe if I'm lucky it won't snow too much tonight and I can skip shoveling tomorrow.  Probably not.  It's better if I clear the driveway so there's concrete exposed for the tires to grab onto.  But it's March 1 so we'll have maybe 6 more weeks of real winter.  She says with her fingers crossed.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Aunt B said...

March is supposed to "go out like a lamb" so you shouldn't have to wait until mid-April for winter to begin to end. I'm going to tell the weather gods that "Aunt B says so" and see if it works.
Teeny tiny purse is too cute and the jet button is perfect.

pumpkinsrule61 said...

Your cowl looks great!