Sunday, March 3, 2019

Happy & Sad

Today's toss is both happy and sad.


Happy because the shallow underbed storage box held a doll quilt made by my Great-grandma Barbara Stephan, a kitchen embroidery of herbs and animals that Mom made, my first needlepoint sampler, a crewel embroidery of a squirrel in a tree, and the set of 12 bear quilt blocks that Grandma Angermeier set me to embroidering when I was about 8 years old.  I do not know why they never got turned into a baby quilt or doll quilt but there they are all sewn with no place to go.  Maybe I'll get some quilt fabric, finally cut them apart, and piece together a quilt top.  One of these days.


Sad because in the same box were the quilts that Durwood's mom made for DS and DD.  The orange one is crib-size (folded in half in the photo) with coloring book pictures she traced onto the fabric then sewed around them in running stitch with embroidery floss, stuffing a little fiberfill into the design before finishing each one.  The yellow one she made 2 1/2 years later when her forgetfulness had turned into full-blown Alzheimer's disease.  She has a few traced shapes on there and they are stuffed but... well, it makes me weep to see the undeniable change in her.  I wish I could say that she died within a year or so after she made this but DD was close to 6 years old when she passed.  That was a very long time to watch her sink into dementia.  I don't wish that on my worst enemy.


On to happier thoughts.  I had another assistant today and we made our favorite cornbread, carrot, cheddar waffles for lunch.  We played school, tossed things down the laundry chute and then retrieved them only to toss them down again, drew pictures and colored, made microwave popcorn, and she watched me take in the waistband of her pants.  She so tall and slender that pants that are long enough slide right off within a few steps, which is very awkward at school.  I'm thinking she needs a wardrobe of belts.  We hoped to snowshoe but it was too darned cold plus we found too many amusements indoors.  Next time.


While paging through an All-Recipes magazine the other day I happened upon a recipe for Easy Egg Drop Soup which sounded so good... that I made it tonight.  What I liked most about it was the paragraph under the name that suggested adding mushrooms, cooked chicken, snow peas, or bok choy to make it heartier.  By happy chance I had mushrooms, chicken, and bok choy on hand.  Hooray!  I also threw caution to the winds and added 1/4 teaspoon of dark sesame oil for the flavor boost.  It was the exact right thing for supper tonight and probably will be tomorrow night too.  Even with all my additions a 1-1/4 cup serving costs only 1 WW Freestyle point making it delicious and virtuous at the same time.


3 March--Tropical Obsession. 

The sun was high when Nola finally awoke and squinted her way out to the patio. Maria was in the kitchen clattering pots around but she took a moment to carry a mug of fresh-made coffee out and set it silently on a palm fiber mat on the glass-topped table. Her fingers rested ever so fleetingly on Nola's shoulder as she turned to go back to her work. Tears sprang to Nola's eyes at the simple gesture. The news of Jack's death must be all over the island, she thought. In the center of the table sat a clear glass bowl; three flowers floated on the surface, their yellow centers looking like a pinwheel of yolk in a fried egg. The petals were so waxy she had to touch them to see if they were real. She had the feeling that nothing would seem real for a time until she was allowed to leave the island and begin building a new life on the shreds of the old one that had died with Jack.

Tomorrow is the 1965 St. Agnes grad lunch.  I'm looking forward to it because last month's lunch was cancelled due to icy roads.  I'm hungry for a cheeseburger.  Also tomorrow is my chiro appointment which I am also looking forward to because my activities of the last couple of weeks have awakened the dragon that lives in my left, ex-broken ankle and Dr. Paula will make it better.  She will also temporarily relieve the constant kink that lives between my shoulder blades.  Worth every penny.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Ann said...

I thought I was in third grade when Grandma Malcolm died. Am I remembering wrong? Did someone else die when I was about 9?

Aunt B said...

What an adorable trove you found beneath your bed. No wonder you got teary remembering that time in your life when the kids were small. Once upon a time..... But on the bright side, that soup looks delicious. Can't believe you had those "extras" to make it even better. Nice you got some time with your other assistant for some indoor fun.