Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Guess What!

It's snowing again.  I know.  I'm surprised too.  (that's what we call sarcasm, kids)  It started about 4 o'clock and is supposed to snow off and on until tomorrow noon with 3-5 inches of accumulation.  *sigh*  They're talking about more snow later in the week too before it gets back down into the single digits for a few days starting on Sunday.  Whoop.  At least it'll cover up the ice and fill in the ruts in the frozen slush on the streets.  My poor tires.




Today is $10 Tuesday at Papa Murphy's and for once I remembered before I ate supper so I zoomed up there and brought home this.  Yum.




The cleaning lady, MB, came today so my carpets are all pretty with vacuum swaths in them and Old Cesspool was evicted from the dark place behind the toilet, at least for a while.  I texted my friend KW to see if she'd meet me at the Y this afternoon to ensure that I didn't blow it off.  We met at 12:30 and walked for about 40 minutes.  Thanks, KW, you're a real pal.



Lots of yarn got knitted this afternoon and evening.  I added one more round to the February Seaman's Cowl and bound it off.  One of these days my bind off will match my cast on better.  Today isn't that day but one of these days will be.


I decided to sew up the bottom of the Teeny Tiny Purse I cast on yesterday so I can measure the length.  Two of my knitting friends emailed with suggestions as to how to knit from both sides of the cast on to eliminate the annoying sewing up part.  Which means I'll have to cast on another one when this one's done to try the trick.




Then CS who is leading/teaching a brioche knitting class sent a pattern for us to cast on if we want to try our hand at knitting a 2-color cowl.  By some miracle I had a skein of the pattern yarn in my stash which I took to mean that I am destined to knit that pattern.  Well, what else could it mean?  So I cast on 90 stitches using the German Twisted Cast-on that we learned last Thursday night at Knitting Guild.  Okay, I'll admit that I had to YouTube it to remind myself but once I saw and heard the instructions again my fingers remembered what to do.  YouTube is a marvelous tool.

26 February--Tropical Obsession. 

The scene had the air of an animated short. The flock of pink flamingos all faced the same direction and, necks stretched, waded away from the splashing of the school of baitfish on the surface behind them. Nola sat in the broiling sun staring at the birds, an imaginary soundtrack running through her head. "Why are we running? You know why we're running? What are we running from?" The nasal honks, in no way synchronized, and the rigidity of their slender dark pink necks gave an air of panic to their movements. She was struck by the realization that the birds' knees bent backwards, that they worked more like elbows and she frowned trying to figure out why. It was easier to put all her energy into discovering the evolutionary reason behind the flamingos' elbow knees than to think about Jack and the dangerous game he and Manning were playing.

Today's toss was the last 37 of the VHS tapes that I had copied onto DVDs.  While MB cleaned and chatted, I chatted back and wrote what was on each one onto the DVD so I could throw the tapes into the garbage.  Which I did. Tomorrow I get a haircut.  Yay!
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You are the brave girl -- not letting more snow slow you down. It's hard to get my head around your winter when it's so sunny and warm down here. But rain is forecast for today so it isn't all perfect. That teeny tiny purse looks so cute. It's amazing what all you can knit.