Friday, February 1, 2019

Knobs!


 

This afternoon I tucked my newly-learned doorknob expertise under my belt and attacked the frozen doorknob and its cohort in the living room.  It was easy to disassemble the old knob and take it out of the door.  I was glad I'd watched the YouTube video so that I put it in the correct way.  It'd be easy to put that part with the tongue in wrong.  The most challenging part was getting those long screws in straight to hold the inside and outside parts together but I managed along with the help of a tiny LED flashlight I held in my mouth.  For some reason the strike plate that came with the knob didn't work but the old one on the door jamb did, so I left the old ones and tossed the new ones.  No, I'm not keeping the old, broken doorknobs "just in case."  I'm tossing things, remember?  I wasn't even tempted.  Oh, and the doorknobs are today's toss.





Also this afternoon I went down to the library with seven of my knitting pals and started learning how to knit brioche which is a thick, double knitted fabric mostly used for hats, scarves, and cowls.  This purple knitting is my practice swatch.  It isn't as tight and squooshy as it should be.  I'm a loose knitter so I need to go down at least one needle size and probably two.  I'll frog this and start over with a smaller needle.  


Tonight at knitting I worked on the Zauber Orange sock.  I'm almost through the green and into the blue-green which my friend LB is anxious to see because that blue-green, teal-ish color is her favorite.  I had a brainstorm last night.  I'm going to knit the leg of this sock down to where an afterthought heel should be (it'll be easier to understand when I can show you), put in waste yarn, knit the foot to where the toe decreases start, add more waste yarn, knit another foot with different yarn, add waste yarn for another heel, and then knit up the leg to the ribbing.  I bought a pattern called Afterthought Everything Sock at the yarn shop in Indy in November and since I don't knit pairs of socks I'm thinking I'll play with the same technique but change yarn in mid-pattern so that I'll have my usual mismatched socks.  We'll see how that works.


I spent most of the morning scanning patterns into the computer so that I could try to figure out how to put them on Knit Companion on my iPad so that I don't have to haul around paper patterns and managed to get them in there and CS, who taught the brioche class, helped me get them assembled in the program.  Thanks, CS! 

1 February--Tropical Obsession.

Nola stumbled down the irregular cement steps to stand clutching the obviously handmade wall with gaps carved in it. Her knuckles grew white and tight with the strength of her grip. One of her nails, her red-painted acrylic nails, broke with a sharp crack and it flew out to fall into the sea like a drop of frozen blood. This is where they found him, the Detective Inspector told her. This is where the couple of divers, a man from Wisconsin and his wife, were making the climb down, burdened by their scuba gear to dive at the site they call Thousand Steps, stopping to rest in this very spot. From here the wife saw Jack's body floating face down in the clear blue water and said to her husband how odd it was for the man to be snorkeling in a shirt, shorts and sandals when he realized that Jack was not snorkeling. That Jack was not lucky to be seeing barracuda so close. The wife had started shaking and ran up the steps as if she weren't wearing fifty pounds of gear. They drove to the petroleum tank farm at the top of the island to call the police, neither one of them willing to stand in the stillness of Thousand Steps to keep what was left of Jack company.


There weren't any birds of note, hardly any birds on the feeders when I was looking at all.  The temps today were in the double digits ABOVE zero.  Imagine that!  It's supposed to get into the 40s on Sunday--and rain, more like freezing rain.  Oh goodie.  If it isn't one weather extreme it's another.  It sure was nice not to have my lungs freeze when I went outside and not to have frost on the inside of the doors and windows.  I need to study up on weatherstripping on doors.  I suspect that's something that needs doing when it isn't a bajillion degrees below zero.  Something to do in spring.
--Barbara

No comments: