Sunday, February 10, 2019

Snow Forever

All day it snowed.  All. Day.  We probably got 6" of the cold, wet stuff and it really hasn't stopped.  Little flakes are floating around and I hear that it's supposed to snow on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday and Thursday this week.  Or maybe Tuesday and Thursday.  Or maybe every bloody day until the snow covers everything and everyone forever.  Gah!

I think might need a break.





This afternoon I hauled up warm weather clothes, undressed, and decided what to pack for my week in the warm.  I even remembered to pack my swimsuit.





 
I drove across town this afternoon and was surprised that the city hadn't managed to keep Mason St. (the major east-west street) clearer.  It was an adventure to turn corners, more of a slide than a turn.  Good thing I married a traveling salesman; he taught me how to drive on slick streets.  Here's how the backyard looked tonight.  More snow.  I think these are bunny prints.



10 February--Tropical Obsession. 

"When was the last time it rained?" Manning crouched, hands on his knees, bending to look at the cracked sand they walked on. "I don't know, mon, but it's been months." Bunny shook his head, his dreadlocks lashing his shoulders. "Why you care?" Manning straightened, took off his boonie hat, and wiped his forehead. "I want to know what made those prints and when." He kept walking along the trail of tiny bird footprints, glancing over his shoulder to frown at his own prints stretching back to the crumbling asphalt road. Bunny stood and stared after him, confusion rising in his red-rimmed eyes. "It was just a bird, mon. Birds don't tell no tales." He lurched forward as if Manning had tugged on an invisible lead. They walked down the deserted stretch of sand toward the mangroves. When they reached the dark edge where the spidery roots began their tangled quest for space, the two men argued, Manning angry, flinging his arms and leaning forward for emphasis. Bunny was not swayed. His face remained impassive as he shook his head. Finally giving up, Manning plunged into the mangrove thicket and soon disappeared. Bunny crouched in the shade to wait, pulled a fattie from his dirty cargo shorts, lit up, and launched into a medley of his favorite Bob Marley songs to keep his nerve strong.


Sorry I don't have much interesting to report today.  It's cold.  It's snowy.  I ran the snowblower.  My hands hurt so I didn't even knit.  *sigh*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Definitely time for a break. Glad you're bringing a swimsuit. The pool may be chilly but there's always the heater to make it even better. Supposed to "drop" into the 70's this week. Still better than snow. Come on down!!!