Monday, October 29, 2007

More Adventures...

Welcome back, Barbara. The lighthouse post was excellent. I could sort of see it coming - not the burros, but the anticlimax - and when it arrived, it felt exactly right. Here's something that came out Saturday after work:

The heat coming off the fireplace made the room almost too warm. Miranda and Martin lay on his couch, watching the flames.
"Do you want another beer?"
"Thanks," she said, "But I'm driving."
"You could stay here the night. You're always welcome."
"I know." She worked her fingers between his, considered them.
"Mi casa, su casa."
She kissed his chest. Then, releasing his hand, she pushed up from the couch.
Martin, having pulled himself onto an elbow, watched her as she put on her blouse and buttoned it. "Too bad," he said. "I make an outstanding Eggs Benedict."
"When I'm finished with my oral exams," she said. "I promise." Still working the buttons, she leaned down. They kissed.
"I guess I'll have to wait."
"I guess you will."
"You're beautiful," he said.
Miranda smiled and tucked the blouse into the waistband of her skirt.
"See, I'm not a total washout," he said.
"No, " she said. "For that, you get extra points."
Martin began getting up from the couch, or perhaps just shifting his weight.
"Stay there," she said. "I want to remember you just like that." She slipped on her shoes, lifted her leather jacket from the back of a nearby chair.
"Call me when you get back to your place."
"Immediately," she said, sliding it on over her shoulders, "if not sooner."
"God, you're beautiful."
"Okay," she said, coming closer. "You've exceeded the possible number of extra points for one evening." They kissed.
"Goodnight," he said, his hand full on the curve of her jaw.
"'night."
Outside, in the cool night air, she heard a window going up.
"Miranda," Martin called.
She shifted her books and turned to look up at the building.
"Sweet dreams."
Upon which, she blew him a kiss in return.

Right now, I don't know what it needs. It just seems a little too sweet and Aaron Sorkin-ish. Anyway, talk to you later.

Bob

No comments: