Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Iguana

Yesterday was a frustrating day; a day I spent trying to shove life around and it shoved back. But I survived with a few of my wits intact, at least enough to drive.

It was a face out of prehistory, a scaly cold face with amber eyes set under bony brow ridges and ragged spikes trailing haphazardly down its back. He blinked and the iguana, for that is what it was, gulped at him as if contemplating a particularly juicy smear of roadkill. The steady gaze of the lizard and the pigeon-toed confidence of its pale blue stance got him moving out of his stupor and swaying onto his feet. The weakness he felt must have been evident even to an animal as primitive as the iguana because it didn't shy away, didn't even move a muscle as he grunted and shoved himself upright. He stood trying to keep his balance on the suddenly tilting planet and the lizard looked up at him as if to say, I could have eaten you if I had wanted to.

See you tomorrow night. I look forward to your story and spending some time writing together.
--Barbara

No comments: