Saturday, October 6, 2007

Nice Set-up

I like what you've written, Bob; it's a good beginning that makes me anxious to know what comes next. I can see the churchyard and his hand on the wheel very clearly.

Yesterday was consumed with non-writing responsibilities but I have hopes for today. Here's last night's prompt writing:

You expect they'll make noise. There's a very distinctive sound on the Blue Planet videos when they're around but it took personal experience to show me how silent it is. Silent might not be the right word; it's never really silent underwater. For one thing there's your own Darth Vader breathing that you hope continues to accompany your every underwater move. And the identical whoosh-click of your buddy. I know, it seems like a childish word for a person into whose hands you place your life, but that's what your dive partner is called, your buddy. Shrimp make a sound like popping corn, you hear the water on the shore messing around the broken coral, and the roar of passing boats. Parrotfish crunch bites from coral heads. But big schools of little silver fish don't make a swishing sound when they change direction underwater. They don't--and eels don't hiss either. (No voice box.) TV lies.

Hmm, maybe if I post my prompt writing every day it'll goad me into doing it every day. What do you think? Shame as motivator? I think it might work.

--Barbara

No comments: