Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Spring Won't Be Denied

 

This morning I took a "looking for spring" tour of the yard.  It was gray and chilly, overcast and windy but intrepid me went out to find growing things.  First I checked in front where the bulbs are.  More and more squills are blooming.  I wish I could take a picture that showed how pretty they are, little delicate white bells with pale blue stripes down the centers.






Next to them the first hyacinth is blooming.  Just a few trumpets but it's a flower and it counts.



 


Then it was on to the backyard where I had to bend down and look very carefully but the chives are about 2" tall in the corner of the garden,


 

a few feet away one of the varieties of mint I planted along the edge of the garden so that LC and OJ have leaves to pick and eat has sprouted,




 

and tucked against the house the rhubarb that Dad dug up from Grandma and Grandpa Angermeier's farm when we moved to Green Bay from Evansville, IN in 1962 is pushing wrinkly greenish pink leaves up.  I was tempted to pull last autumn's leaves off all of the sprouts but decided that they'd be happier under the leaves when the snow/rain/sleet comes overnight.


Last week the garden center ads started having their coupon for a potted annual for $1.49 so on my way home from lunch with DS I swung by and got the purple/blue pansy from this week's ad and the white and red-violet viola from last week's ad.  I was happy when the coupon from last week still worked.  It's too crummy to plant them outside, even along the front of the house, so I plonked them into a pair of clay pots that I set next to the sink so I can enjoy them.  I should probably put them in the front window which has southern exposure so they'd get more light but I want to see them.  Maybe I'll move them to the table where the light from the patio door will make them happy.



Once I got home I piled myself on the couch and added rounds to the April Seamen's Cowl.  I should probably cast on preemie hats because I don't think I've made any this month.  I've been out of town a lot and my knitting has slowed down dramatically.  Guess I'll have to watch more TV so I can get some knitting done.  Oh darn.


11April--Pieter Brueghel the Younger, Wedding Feast.

More beer, they shout,
voices raised in merriment.
Gluttony of tasty treats
laid out around the yard
invites indulgence.
Musicians charm the air
with toe-tapping notes.
Children scamper, laughing,
chase dogs carrying stolen bones.
Couples embrace to dance,
a promise of private pleasures,
wedding as aphrodisiac.
~~~~~


I am happy to report that my quads have stopped aching so much after I walk or workout.  Whew.  I was getting worried that I might have some dread disease but my daily trips to the fitness center last weekend seem to have gotten me over the hump.  My legs didn't ache much at all after yesterday's time on the treadmill and elliptical.  Like I said, whew.  Tomorrow I have a trainer session.  I'm looking forward to it.

So far the streets are dry but the weather guys are still holding the threat of nasty weather over us like a meteorological Sword of Damocles.  I won't be unhappy if they're wrong.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Thanks for the Signs of Spring tour. Lots of tiny sprigs out there to let you know they're coming soon. Love the bits of color almost hidden in the remains of last year's mulch. I hope the weatherman is wrong too or at least you'll be spared the worst of it.