Friday, April 12, 2019

Aw, Man...

How does Friday night always get away from me?  I know that Friday Night Knitting ends at 9 o'clock and here it is creeping up on 11 o'clock and I'm just getting started blogging.  *sigh*  I spent some time tidying up in preparation for an assistant's visit tomorrow, and Lala and her brother dropping in to spend the night.  I offered my place as a way station on their drive back to Milwaukee for him to catch a Sunday morning flight so they'll probably get here in the late evening.  I promised not to make a fuss but I thought it'd be nice to remove a bunch of detritus from flat surfaces, especially the kitchen table.  Then I portioned out the chocolate ice cream I bought the other day to prevent me scooping out waaaaay too much from sheer laziness and gluttony.  Then I had to eat one portion.  Well, that's why I bought the stuff so it makes sense that I'd eat some.


This morning I noticed that the birds have been diligently spreading seed on the top of yesterday's snow so that the bunnies and ground-feeding birds had a chance to eat.


 

Oh!  I turned around when making my breakfast to see a big bird fly by the window.  There was a hawk sitting on the back of the Adirondack chair on the patio.  It was looking my way so when I started to move toward the table and my camera it flew away.  Dang it.  This photo is from a few years ago but I couldn't tell you about it and not have a hawk picture.  They're so beautiful.



I've been pretty good about sticking to WW this week.  I wanted something to snack on this afternoon and remembered a recipe I saw on the WW site for Apple "Fries" with Creamy Peanut Butter Dip and I had everything I needed to make it, even peanut butter powder.  (don't ask where I got it; a friend gave me some of hers)  I was supposed to cut the apple into French fry shapes but decided that thin slices would do just fine and be less of a pain.  The dip is made with the PB powder, a little water, a little honey, and some Greek yogurt.  The recipe said to sprinkle cinnamon on the apple.  It was delicious and really hit the spot.  I also found a recipe for Lemony Beet Hummus, bought some beets at the grocery, roasted them so I'll make that on Sunday...probably.  I love beets and I love hummus.  I'll let you know how it tastes.

Today was a TV day so I added rounds onto the Seaman's Cowl but it looks pretty much like it did last time I showed it to you... yesterday?  What I watched was the first two episodes of Death in Paradise which is a PBS series (probably a BBC import) about a British police detective who gets sent to a tiny Caribbean island to solve a murder and gets posted there, much to his chagrin.  I had it on my Netflix list for the scenery but hadn't gotten around to watching it but one of the writers I met last weekend recommended I watch it for how to have my main character interact with the islanders.  However this is a comedy and the islanders are a bit cliched so I don't know about using it as a guide but I do like the premise (he's quite the fuddy-duddy; he hasn't taken off his suit and tie yet and when he waded into the sea he stepped on an urchin or something; I'll keep watching, it's entertaining)

12 April--Francois Boucher, Lovers in a Park.

They wrap arms around each other,
lean into heartbeats,
touching hands,
trembling lips
promise future kisses.
Twining vines
their only witness.
~~~~~ 

Quite a bit of the snow melted.  Our street is pretty clear and grass is peeking through in places.  In a few days yesterday's snow will be a memory and stuff will resume poking out of the ground again.  *she says hopefully*
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Ice cream is a staple of our diet down here. We tell ourselves that one small bowl won't ruin our diet. What diet?? We eat anything we want. At this point in our life, we don't deny ourselves much in the dessert department. Glad that snow is going away and that the daffodils are hanging in.