Thursday, April 25, 2019

Better Outlook


I started today in the same funk that has weighed me down for the last couple weeks (except for the few sunny days) but my 30 minutes with M the trainer made a bit of a change.  While I walked on the treadmill to warm up, listening to a podcast, I entertained the thought that I'd just flake out, skip the workout, and go home.  But I didn't, and I'm glad.  She had me doing mostly strength work--presses, squats, and throwing down and picking up a medicine ball, which was oddly satisfying.  (Did you know that medicine balls don't bounce?  Well, this one didn't anyway.)  When I was on the third and last cycle I commented that I feel stronger but I didn't think that my breathing had improved.  She shook her head and said, "Are you kidding?  Most people would be gasping and slumping, you're breathing much better than when we started."  Thanks, M, those few words really made my day.










 

This morning there were rotating pairs of goldfinches at the thistle feeder.  The first pair hadn't finished molting into their summer plumage but the last pair that came had.  The male had, that's for sure, females don't really change much.








I've been knitting on the Triangle Wrap.  My crummy mood the last couple months has really affected my knitting enthusiasm.  I realized that most times I'm sitting on the couch my hands are in my lap, not knitting.  NOT knitting.  I can't believe it either.  We're having a sock knit-along at Guild and even though I'm not using the pattern that was suggested I'll go sit and knit on my sock(s) just for the inspiration and motivation.


DS invited me to lunch tomorrow.  I'm hoping to get to taste some of the rum and cola glazed ham that he grilled for their Easter dinner.  Hint, hint.  They put the fence up around the brewery site so they have to start doing something soon.  I'm so impatient for things to get rolling; I can't imagine how agonizing this has been for DS and DIL1.

25 April--Anonymous, A Flapper in Her Bathing Suit.

Wet and joyous
wool suit sags 
knee-high stockings and shoes
perched on a rock
above the foam
like a Rolls Royce
hood ornament
she poses.
~~~~~ 

I think I changed the weather.  I put my winter coats away and carried up my spring coat and jacket.  It started raining this afternoon and lows the next week are supposed to sink into the 40s.  I always suspected that I was in charge of everything but here's proof.  I'll keep the snow boots in the closet for now and the snowshoes can lean alongside the cookbooks for a while yet.  Just in case.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Snowshoes leaning beside the cookbooks??? Somehow that doesn't compute. I have an image of a row of cookbooks on your kitchen shelf and snowshoes just don't fit up there. But I'll take your word for it and assume they're all in the hall closet. Thank you Mother Nature, aka BSA, for bringing spring -- the the goldfinches back to GB. Glad you didn't skip your workout. Sounds as if you're getting results. Good girl!!