Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Conference Scheduling

I spent most of today sifting through the 39 pages of Writers' Institute schedule picking out talks I thought might be worth attending.  There are multiple ones in each time frame so choices had to be made.  I will confess that with each page my nerve congealed more and more.  By the time I was through them all I thought I'd just cancel everything and stay home, hide under the covers until it's all over.  Tempting but, no, I'll go.  Glad that I've given myself extra time though.  I need to type faster, think faster so I can pack tonight.





This bunny was very focused on gobbling up every morsel of cracked corn and seed that the sparrows had flung out of the feeder today.






I did a couple loads of laundry because all of my handmade socks were dirty and then I avoided packing by watching a couple hours of TV and casting on the April Seaman's Cowl in some of the new variegated yarn I got the other day.  I like the muted colors.

2 April--Tropical Obsession.

Diego walked out of the sea and sat on the beach staring at the calm bay crisscrossed by the primary colored windsurfers. The stiff tradewinds that filled their transparent sails dried the salt water on his dark skin and blew grains of sand that stuck to him and pelted his eyes. He shook his fingers dry and carefully extracted a cigarette from the pack folded in his t-shirt, then turned his back to the wind to light it. The clink and snick followed by the stink of the lighter fluid that rose from the Zippo in his hand took him back to his days as a young boy lying in bed with his three brothers listening to his daddy and uncles talk and laugh and smoke deep into the night. Sharon wanted him to quit smoking "for his health." How could he make her understand that some days the cool metal lighter in his pocket was all that connected him to himself?

It was chilly today.  Winter coat chilly with a sharp wind chaser.  Which means I'm not at all sure what clothes to pack for the weekend.  I checked weather.com and it's supposed to be in the 50s in Madison but can I trust it?  I brought up a bigger suitcase so that I can pack mostly spring-like clothes but there'll be room for some heavier things too.  Just in case.  Once this weekend is over I promise that I won't be going out of town for a while.  Cross my heart.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Remember -- you're going to that conference to relax and meet and talk with people. So glad you didn't drive yourself crazy about finishing your novel to pitch to a potential editor. No need to stress. I know you'll have a good time.