Sunday, April 14, 2019

At Least The Snow Skipped Us

Today was gray, chilly, and windy but according to all reports the southern part of the state, Milwaukee in particular, got about 6" of snow today.  I am so glad that they have to shovel and I don't.  Mean of me, I know, but I'm tired of moving snow from here to there.  Early this evening the sun deigned to appear and I snapped the sunset to show you how the sun slid below the solid ceiling of clouds to grant an hour of much-appreciated sunshine.



When I turned to come in from taking that picture I saw that the daffodils closest to the porch have sent up a trio of buds.  Pretty soon I'll have pretty yellow flowers.  *rubs hands together in eager anticipation*







Sorry I didn't blog last night but I had an assistant for most of yesterday and then Lala and
her brother arrived to spend the night.  On Thursday they'd gone to visit their mom in White Lake which is about 2 hours north of here and he had a 10 AM flight today out of Milwaukee so it made sense to invite them to come for a quick sleepover so they didn't have to leave Antigo at 0-dark-30.  Instead they got to sleep in until after 5, gulp some of the coffee I made last night for them to reheat in the microwave, and zoom out of here at the much more reasonable time of 5:30.  I got the gift of art from OJ.  On the envelope is a rocket with flames shooting out (I think he had grown-up help with the picture of me) and on the paper sunshine is pouring down on the butterflies.  I love getting gifts like that.  It makes me feel beloved.


We tried to make bird's nests of marshmallows and chow mein noodles but I overcooked them so they hardened into rocks and no amount of butter kept them from sticking to our fingers so we gave up trying to form nests and made a slab.  The jelly beans and chocolate eggs didn't stick either.  *sigh*  Oh well, we tried.  He wasn't all that interested in the project anyway.  I can't believe that he'll be 3 next week.  Time sure flies.



I've slacked off on my "one box a day" project so this afternoon I went downstairs and carried up the old microwave that Durwood used to take out of town so he could cook TV dinners in his motel rooms and also sorted out a couple dozen canning jars that I put rings onto.  I'll drop them off at Goodwill tomorrow on my way to the Y.  I sorted out and tossed all of the unmarked jars, the ones without "Mason" or "Kerr" or "Ball" stamped in the glass, because I read that old pickle and mayo jars are fine for storing things but aren't sturdy enough to go through the canning process so those went into the recycling.  Don't want anything exploding on someone.






 


I made the first April Preemie Hat today.  Only three more to go this month (which may or may not happen).  Plus I'm over halfway done with the Seaman's Cowl.





This morning I noticed a couple Goldfinches at the thistle feeder.  Their yellow feathers are coming in.  Pretty soon they'll be all spiffy for dating, uh I mean, mating season.


14 April--Vincent van Gogh, A Wheatfield with Cypresses.

Wind sings through spears of cypress,
smooths wheat stalks
like a gentling hand.
Flourishes of clouds
glide across blue sky
waltzing in the wind.
~~~~~

Tomorrow morning I have a chiro appointment and in the afternoon I have a trainer session.  In between I hope to get something tossed and maybe get one other thing accomplished.  I've kind of slowed down the last couple months.  My get-up-and-go got-up-and-went, or it seems like that to me anyway.  I ate the last premade supper tonight so Tuesday I'll be embarking on another round of Investment Cooking.  Time to fire up the slow cooker.  I have started a list. 

Eight months ago today Durwood died.  Some days it seems like a hundred years ago, lately it's felt like yesterday.  I'm looking forward to the time when I don't have that timeline so firmly in my head.  It'll come, I know it will.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

The sunset picture is my favorite today. So glad the snow missed you. I always check where GB is located on the weather maps put up on TV and it looked like you were going to be spared. Nice to have your assistant with you to kinda distract you from the date. Your basement must be getting pretty organized by now. Lots of stuff have come up and out from down there.