Sunday, April 7, 2019

Just So You Know...

If you leave your small traveling flashlight turned on from Wednesday morning when you pack until Sunday afternoon when you get home and unpack, the batteries run out.  Just saying.  See, I married an Eagle Scout who took the BSA motto, Be Prepared, to heart, so I learned to pack a small flashlight whenever I went anywhere so that if I needed one (for a random power outage perhaps) I had one.  I must have accidentally depressed the switch somehow so it was burned out when I took it out when I got home.  Good thing I didn't need it.  *sigh*

I had coffee this morning with these writer women.  I met the two seated ones in the black jackets yesterday.  They're the ones with the advice about watching that PBS show for info about writing across racial lines.  I didn't get more than their first names but I gave them my email address so I hope that they contact me.  Well, one of them anyway.



The final session today was the panel from the first Pathway to Publication year-long mentoring program.  One of the twelve in attendance has a book coming out this month, others are much closer to publication, and a few have a clearer view of the finish line.  I thought about signing up tomorrow for one of the 50 slots available but wonder if I'm ready for that kind of intensive concentration on my writing and ready to spend the money.  I've been a bit free with my checkbook lately and have that Yellowstone trip coming up so maybe I should rethink that.


I had a lovely lunch and visit with BCV and her sister LC.  We traded news and grandkid stories and are looking forward to seeing each other again at our 50th class reunion in July.  Fifty years!  Can you believe it?  Speaking of which I need to see if I can't find my senior yearbook to find the class picture.  RS asked me last Monday if I'd help put names to faces so I need to find the darned thing.  I thought I knew where it was but it wasn't there.  Tomorrow I guess I'll be the one digging in the front closet.



On my way to check out of the hotel I glanced at the conference registration desk to see LK with a beautiful pile of knitting on the table next to her.  She's making a shawl.  Pretty, isn't it?  You find knitters everywhere






This was my drive home.  It started sprinkling when I left the hotel and got serious about raining just after I left Madison.  Traffic was light so I wasn't worried about visibility and when I was on the two-lane from Waupun to Oshkosh I kept to the speed limit and used the slow lanes when they came along.  I was ever so happy to have a nice dry garage to drive into when I got home.







I'm amazingly tired.  I made myself an egg sandwich and had a bowl of applesauce for supper.  Then I knitted a few rounds on the April Seaman's Cowl, now I'm blogging, and I'm ready to hit the sack as soon as I post this.


In honor of April Poetry Month, I unearthed my notebook, paged back to yesterday's Page-A-Day page, and cranked out a little poem so I have some writing writing to put on here.  I suspect that you'll have Tropical Obsession withdrawal; I'm sorry about that.

7 April--Georges Valmier, Reclining Woman.

She lay amid
covers tumbled
like fabric store castoffs,
her flesh
played peek-a-boo
with the sunlight.
~~~~~ 

I think what I'll miss most about being at the hotel is having the fitness center six floors down so I could pop in to walk on the treadmill without having to drive anywhere. However I can probably manage to get to the Y tomorrow.
--Barbara 

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Glad you decided against signing up for that year long mentoring thing. Could end up putting pressure on you and who needs that? But that entire event was certainly a winner for you. Good you made it there and back -- even in the rain. I'm going to miss Jack, Manning, Nola, etc. but nice to have your sweet little poems.