Monday, April 22, 2019

Not According to Plan

My day, that is, it didn't go according to my plan.  Anyone who knows me knows that I have an inner-dictator who is very firm about what needs to be done each day and is slightly cranky when circumstances don't cooperate.  First thing I composed an alluring post for NextDoor.com offering the Weber Smoker and the hammock and frame (I know I was thinking of keeping it but it takes up a lot of room and if I left it up it'd be an attractive nuisance so out it went) to the first person who drove over, then I took the hammock down, bagged it and its parts, hauled it and the smoker to the curb, and left.


First stop was to the clinic to remind the doc to call in one Rx that he or his nurse forgot last Friday and to ask if there wasn't a free nurse with a tweezers who could remove the scrub brush bristle from under my fingernail.  Nope.  Seems I had to have a doctor do that and the doc didn't have any openings today.  Next I drove to the Walgreen's kitty-corner from the Y because there's a clinic in there.  Could they remove the bristle?  Nope.  Gotta have a doctor.  Grr.

Then I went to the Y where I took my Kindle in with me, used one of their mats, and did the longer yoga routine there in front of the big windows (because I'd been too busy to yog at home) then I did 15 minutes on the elliptical.  It felt great.  As a bonus my trainer came in to meet a victim, uh, client and came over to comment that I was doing yoga and to peer at the Kindle.  Visible proof that I actually work out when she's not around.  And when I was on the elliptical, T, the guy who she chose to replace her as my trainer when she goes off in a week to be an adult, stopped to say hi during his workout.

That took me to about 11:15 so I drove over to the Urgent Care Clinic near Walmart to get the danged bristle removed.  I had a coffee date with a friend that I met at the caregivers group at 1 o'clock so I figured that I had plenty of time.  Nope.  The waiting room wasn't full, in fact there was one guy who came in when I did and he went in ahead of me, but once the nurse took my BP and filled out the forms I waited for at least half an hour for the doc who breezed in, looked at my finger, went out for numbing juice (which took at least 15 minutes), injected my finger (which hurt like the dickens), left to wait for it to take effect (about 20 more minutes, during which time I called my friend to push our meeting time back half an hour).  He came zooming in, unwrapped the instrument pack, chose a scissors/tweezer thing, teased out the bristle, and said I was done.  It took a further 10 minutes for a different nurse to bring in my discharge instructions (basically come back if it gets infected--duh) and I was out of there in just under 2 hours.  Urgent it ain't.  Maybe I wasn't sick or hurt enough.  Or maybe they had a hot poker game going in the break room.  At least I got to keep the instruments (I was needing a clamp, those suckers are hard to find and they're so handy) and the bristle.  See?

My friend and I had a nice visit.  There were a few raindrops on the windshield when I left the coffee shop and by the time I got to DS's to duck into the backyard to feed the chickens all the carrot and pineapple peels, beet greens, shriveled grapes, strawberry hulls, and avocado skins and pits from my cooking marathon it was pouring.  Of course.  It rained all the way home, sometimes just a little and sometimes it was a downpour.  The hammock was gone when I got here and the smoker was tipped over.  I righted it and came in to check NextDoor.  Two people asked about the hammock and one about the smoker.  I replied that the smoker was still here and invited her to come on down.  She came in about half an hour (in between rain squalls) and I poked my head out to thank her for taking it.  She said her husband had seen it and been so excited that she had to come right over.  Why he didn't come get it I don't know but she thought they'd have smoked something for supper tonight.  I'm glad it went to a good home.

22 April--Frederick Morgan, Feeding the Rabbits.

They come from near and far,
bundles of white fur
bounding through the springtime grass
to feast on lettuce
or maybe cabbage
carried by the girl
in the pink dress.
She speaks softly to them,
they listen,
pink ears twitching,
listening for the hawk's cry. 
~~~~~

Well, it sounds like it's finally stopped raining and I can't hear any more thunder.  I came home to find that someone had been here and painted red stripes on the lawn behind the house, they poked in red flags too.  I wonder if that means that the retaining wall guy, Clarence, sent them so that he and his crew don't dig up anything important.  There was no note or call.  Fingers crossed.  Oh, and I drove by the brewery site but no digging happened today.  Dang it.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

So much rigmarole to get a tiny bristle removed. But nothing is simple. At least it's gone. But what a busy girl you were yesterday. The weather didn't cooperate -- at least it wasn't snow. Glad you got rid of those two big items. Sounds like the smoker definitely went to a good home.