Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I Heard Birds!

When I poked my head out to get the paper this morning I heard birds twittering in the early sunshine and bitter cold air.  Maybe they didn't get the memo that it's still deep winter around here or maybe they just don't give a crap that it's so cold outside your neck retracts your head between your shoulders and your nose hairs freeze with every breath.  Whatever the reason, it immediately woke me up and made me think that maybe, just maybe, it'll be warm, green, and birdy around here one of these days.  It's been months since there was a natural sound besides the whistling wind out there.  Snowplows yes, birds no.

All of my customers yesterday clustered themselves at the end of the day.  I had no one except the mail lady and a few phone calls, then just after 5 p.m. T&BD came in, followed by an actual paying customer, then MW dropped off a jump drive with Knitting Guild pictures for me to use to update the guild blog, he didn't stay more than a minute but there was quite a traffic jam there for a beat or two.  The best part of the day was the first phone call just after 10 a.m. which was from a middle-aged guy just back from a trip to Turks & Caicos where he did a resort course to try SCUBA diving for the first time.  Well.  He was so excited about all that he'd seen and experienced he couldn't stop talking; I'll bet he babbled on for twenty or thirty minutes with me just saying things like, "oh wow!" and "how cool!"  (that has to be how Columbus sounded when he called home after bumping into San Salvador in 1492)  He was looking for info on getting certified so that next year he can go diving every day he's there--because they were at Club Med and at Club Med diving's included.  That is why I love my job, that right there, listening to people who have dunked their heads the very first time to discovered the fantastic world underwater and can't stop talking about it.

While I was basking in that guy's enthusiasm the rest of the day (maybe that's why I stayed warm all day) I got to the point where I need to embroider the face onto the Ugly Bunny, then I worked on the brim of March Men's Chemo Hat #1.  I need to add one more round of brim and then it's time to work on the crown.  This is going well.

I didn't write before bed last night.  I was too tired.  Today I need to drop off a tank for service, take my cup o'coins to the bank for counting and turning into folding money, cash my paycheck, do laundry, and go to the grocery (with or without Durwood) for veggies and other stuff.  Whew.  Time to sort and get the dirty clothes flopping around in the washer.  Seeyabye.

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Amazing how another person's excitement can kinda rub off on you. Glad you could enjoy that guy's time at Club Med -- even if it was second-hand!