Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday of Sunshine

It's a gorgeous autumn day and I intend to make the most of it. Once the flyover is done (the only part of football I like) I plan to load up my bike and ride on the trail, maybe from Eve's to DePere (about 4 miles) and back. It's cool and sunny today, why not? There won't be too many more days like this so I'm going to take advantage of it. I have to work all week (did I mention that dreadful fact?) so I won't be able to ride if it's nice on Tuesday or Friday. Writing didn't go so well last night. I kept falling asleep so after, let's see... three sentences I called it a night. Maybe I'll have better luck tonight.

October 16--Ireland. The cold sea swirled around the towering sea stack a hundred yards offshore. Sean stood leaning into the strong wind and watching the currents swirl the water far below. The rock of the stack and the cliff below him were obviously made from sediment, the layers changed color quickly... ZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Sounds of someone you love. Usually when you're diving all you can hear is the Darth Vader whoosh-click of your breathing but on that crab dive in Lake Metonga I heard something else. I was diving with my children and they'd left me holding the bag. I carried the mesh collecting bag while they turned over logs and snuck around weed beds to catch rusty crayfish for the crab boil the dive club would host that evening. I swam slowly enjoying seeing David and Ann dart and lunge, coming back toward me with struggling crayfish waving at me from their gloved hands. My children's eyes were smiling with the sheer fun of it and I had heard Ann's delighted giggle when she turned over a log to see six crayfish dart out at her. As our gauges showed that our air supply was getting low and the catch bag got heavier we turned toward shore. That's when I heard Ann singing You Are My Sunshine. She sang all the way back.

I miss the crab dive weekend in Crandon. Now I'm off to put on biking clothes because the fly over will be in about 20 mins and I want to be ready. See ya!
--Barbara

No comments: