Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Flapping In The Wind

Holy carp, is it blowing out there! It's garbage day in our neighborhood and I can hear empty trash cans rolling around all over the block. Sounds like thunder. They're finishing up work on rebuilding the major road a block away and I'll bet those guys are just thrilled with the 50 mph gusts we're having, and the wind has ushered in a lot colder wind. Lucky us! Oh, I'll bet I know what that booming noise is... they're tearing down the Ponderosa down on the corner. The big crane with a claw bucket was sitting there all weekend with the last wall of the place looming over the street. Wonder what they'll put there. I hope they do more than expand the car lot next to it. I get to go get a haircut on my way to work so I'd better get a move on.

October 26--Bioko, Cameroon. Emma stood next to the small waterfall marveling at the way the light gleamed on the stream. She laughed at her first thought--that it looked like a screensaver when it had been nearly three months since she'd seen a computer. She was amazed at how quickly she got over missing being always connected. In less than a week her hand stopped reaching for her phone and checking her email was no longer her first thought upon waking. She had rediscovered the tactile joy of putting pen to paper. It was so quiet away from the hum of technology that she could hear the words as she wrote them. The entire rhythm of her life had been altered. She had effectively stepped back in time and she wasn't sure she wanted to step back onto the treadmill of modern life when it was time to go home.

That's it. I'd like to hunker down today and play with my toys but I have to go to work. I think I'll leave a little early and go through town to Carla's instead of over the way high in the sky Tower Drive bridge.
--Barbara

No comments: