Saturday, April 6, 2024

Let There Be Light

In December the light bulb in the garage door opener burned out. There was no way that I would climb a ladder in the garage to replace it. So for a few months I'd just turn on the overhead light when I left so I could find my way to the back door when I closed the garage door. Today I borrowed a handyman from a friend (okay, he's CS's husband) so JH came over and replaced the burned out light bulb and put a new flapper in the toilet. I could have done the toilet flapper but I wasn't sure that I knew what to do and since I have only one toilet I let him fix it so I'll know what to do the next time it breaks. He even reinstalled the housing on the garage door opener that someone had removed years ago for reasons I've forgotten. Thanks, JH! I really appreciate it!



I saw a black and white bird fly onto the suet pellets and realized that it wasn't a Downy Woodpecker, it was a Hairy Woodpecker. Hairys are a tiny bit bigger and their beak is longer. Naturally by the time I got the camera up and ready it flew over to the round feeder, then onto the platform feeder on the back side, and finally onto the fence between the patios where I managed to capture this slightly blurry picture.


Before I even got dressed I was scrolling through YouTube videos and found a beginner flower painting one so I quick got out my paints and a piece of paper and painted these pink flowers. I think they turned out well and I even like the leaves. Maybe all my leaf practice is starting to pay off.

 


Once JH left I came back here and speed read my way through the rest of PS's manuscript. Man, the story really captured my attention and I raced through the last hundred or so pages because the action was intense. So I sent that off to him and readied my next Novel critique group submission and sent that off too. After that I worked through all of the comments I got from the new group members on my first submission of this session. I made the changes on the submission copy and then copied and pasted it into the whole manuscript. I got some really good comments and suggestions. I'm really enjoying this.

 

Today's Gratitude Journal page was a snap to fill out. Who can't be grateful for fifty degrees and a sunny, blue sky day? And then there's the handyman stuff. Quickest page I think I've ever done. And I know for a fact that's the first toilet I've ever drawn.


Today was sock washing day so there's a long line of 12 compression socks hanging on the shower rod. I won't put them through the washer because I want them to last so once a week or so I have sock washing day. I confess that I don't wear them every day but I do most days because they really do make my legs feel better at the end of the day. I'm not wearing them in the summer though. I will not wear them with sandals and capris. Nope, not doing it.

I looked out the patio door after lunch and saw that my neighbor's 2-year-old was walking along the top of the retaining wall. Her mama was walking along on the ground right next to her. She got to the end and stood looking down at the rough ground in front of her and decided to try climbing down. Mama had to duck behind the lilac bush but she stayed close in case the little one faltered. I think she's going to be a daredevil.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

Thanks to your friend's husband for being your handyman for a day. Some stuff just requires a man to fix. Once again, I love your flower painting. Leaves and blossoms really lovely.