Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Snow & Blow

They promised us a snowstorm and they didn't lie. It was drizzling all morning and then just before noon a few snowflakes started to mix into the rain. By 4 o'clock it was snowing like it really meant it and it's been windy all day. It's still above freezing--barely--so what's out there is wet and heavy. You can tell how heavy it is by the platform feeder. The weight of the feeder is pulling the crook over toward the ground. I hope it stays up. It's supposed to continue until early tomorrow afternoon. Oh goodie. Good thing I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow.

 


I was happy to see a couple Goldfinches at the feeder this morning before the flakes started to fly. They're much more yellow than they were last week. Now I don't know if these are the same birds that showed up last time but I'm guessing that pretty much all of the Goldfinches change color at about the same time in the Spring. Yeah, Spring. Welcome to Spring snow!

 

Last night I planned to get up and get out to the polling place and then to the grocery to pick up the can of chicken broth that I forgot to get yesterday when I did the big shop. I'm making Jamaican Creamy Pumpkin (squash) Soup tomorrow because I'm hosting knitting on Thursday and want to give it an overnight in the fridge for the flavors to meld. Everyone knows that soup is better the second day.



When I got home I tortured myself trying to paint leaves again. This time I chose a different YouTube video but had about the same level of success. Some of them still look like tadpoles rather than leaves. I plan to find some flowers to paint tomorrow and maybe use a different brush, one that I have more control over.

 

Late this afternoon I sat down to draw and made these few figures but then it was time to Zoom with my Writer's Guild. They decided that it was just too dangerous to be out driving around tonight so they set up a Zoom. Ten of us showed up and I read a short story that I'm thinking of submitting to a magazine. My story was well received and I got some suggestions about improvements I could make.


I hope the snow and wind stop sooner than predicted. I know that tomorrow is a snow day for the kids. There is no way it would be safe for them to go to school. Oh, and I got a postcard from the Grand Canyon from OJ today. DS and family went there for Spring Break last week and had a grand time. They biked the rim and hiked down a trail and did all sorts of interesting and fun activities. It was the first time flying for the kiddos and they enjoyed it. It was even clear enough that they could look down from the plane to see the ground. I always like that.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt Barb said...

I'm proud of you for getting out and voting. You look proud of yourself in the cute pix. Good for you. Is winter ever going to give up the ghost?