Saturday, January 5, 2008

Willemstoren Lighthouse

Oh, Bob, there's no doubt in my mind that I am in love with Bonaire. It's my happy place, where my mind takes me when things get bad or boring. It's the geography that feeds my fantasies, partly because it's so far away and kind of tricky to get to, and partly because I can romanticise it to my heart's content. Few know when I play fast and loose with the facts of the place. Wacky questions mean your mind's still working and your eyes are looking at things from a different angle. It's a good thing.

"Looks like a giant albino penis sticking up all lonely at this end of the island." Edward turned to stare at Louise. "What?" She pointed. "There's a lighthouse over there. See?" "Of course, I see it. It's the only building for a mile in any direction." He pulled the camera out of the bag between them on the seat and stepped out of the rental truck to take a picture. He stood in the middle of the road to take it. Theirs was the only vehicle to be seen. It was just after noon and everyone with any sense was either lying in the shade having a siesta or underwater. Not Edward. He was going to wring every moment out of his vacation even if he courted sunstroke. Even if he drove Louise mad with his constant movement.

I'm coming to like Louise and Edward and their antics on the island. This little scribble makes me think that Edward was the guy who came to lying by the lighthouse. That if I'd written for five more minutes last night that Louise would have bopped him with a rock and driven off!

Two more days, okay two and a half, then we fly away. Whoopie! I spent yesterday zooming around doing errands and on the phone making sure everything is all arranged and getting the dive gear packed and trying on clothes. *pant, pant* There's a pile of clothes lying on the floor and tumbling into a suitcase in the basement. Tonight's the dive shop Christmas party (ooh, broasted pork chops and kneecaps. Yum.) and I intend to finalize the packing today so I can spend tomorrow in regal sloth conserving energy for our 2-day airport marathon. Grrr for changing schedules.
--Barbara

No comments: