Monday, January 14, 2008

More Fun With Movies

I like your laundry-list technique of showing, one after the other, what your characters are doing and how they feel about who they are. It has a liberating, comprehensive feel. And playful. It's nothing if not playful. Very cool, Barbara. Has Don started working on his stories yet?

You might ask yourself, Who is this guy, and what's he doing working in an old movie house? Some kind of slacker, probably. Well, the thing is that I flunked out of college. See, I'm just not college material. Not by a long shot. My dad told me, go to college for a couple semesters and see how it goes. Neither one had gone to school past high school, and they had their hopes pinned on me. It was an expensive couple of months it took for them to learn what I knew from the start. As a compromise I'm going to a tech school for an intro-degree in engineering, and working here at this movie house, trying to earn enough to pay rent and feed myself. So far, so good.
Though this place has seriously gone to seed, it's still a single theater. It still has that small integrity going for it. Now, a couple blocks over there's this beautiful old movie palace, the kind they put up back in the thirties, with the pillars and balconies and a ceiling painted like the night sky. Somebody bought it and chopped it up into four different spaces. Now, that's really sad if you ask me. It's totally sentimental, I know, getting worked up over a building, but those old places deserve better, you know? So I feel kind of lucky, even though the manager here is a nut job, and on his way to some kind of catastrope. In a way, I'm glad for having the chance to walk around this spooky old place and get paid for it.
One of the things I actually like doing is checking up in the balcony. Nobody's supposed to go up there anymore. There's these signs saying that it's off limits, but human nature being what it is, you get people up there all the time, especially when it's cold. The manager doesn't like to keep this place warm, so in the winter months I'll find teenagers up there, caught in a heavy liplock or people sitting by themselves. Sometimes, I'll leave them be, let them do what they're doing, and sometimes I'll roust them just because I feel like it. It all depends. I know it's totally unfair and arbitrary, but it's my job.

Bob;-)

No comments: