Saturday, January 19, 2008

Rainbow

I hope you're staying warm up there in the deep freeze. Don keeps checking the weather online to see just how cold we aren't. Our diving friends from GB arrived last night--only a day late (stupid airlines)--so we'll be doing more diving for the next week--and probably more eating out.


A rainbow--and it hasn’t even rained. Gray clouds are gathered all around but above where I stand the sky is clear bright blue. Arcing over my head is a narrow rainbow like a multicolor ribbon in the sky. I amazes me that light can shine through millions of tiny droplets and form such a coordinated whole as an arch of transparent color all across the sky. A perfect arc, a segment of a circle that would be complete if only we were far enough away. Soon the sun’s angle changes, the angle of refraction is lost and the ribbon in the sky disappears. The wind blows the clouds out to sea and the sun shines hot in the clear blue bowl of the sky.

--Barbara

No comments: