Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Back in Green Bay

We've been getting snow off and on since last Saturday. Today, the sun is out (hurrah!) and water is trickling down storm sewers. Such an improvement over yesterday. I've got the day off, so I'm putting it to good use washing clothes, writing and suchlike. Water is flowing in the streets, and so are the words. I love that word, grexy. It must be one you tend to hear only when in Indiana.

As I said before, the tech school is a much better fit than the college was. I actually feel like I'm getting somewhere. Not like before when everything we talked about in the classes seemed hidden and far away. And, too, I get to see Janice whenever I want. Before, it was just letters and phone calls and every now and then a weekend that went by way too fast. I think Janice likes it better this way too. She's going to this beauty school in town here. We tell each other what we've been studying, and she'll even practice some of the cuts she's been learning on me. That's always fun. More fun than me trying to tell her what I'm learning in engineering classes. It's hard trying to make sense of that since it's pretty technical and there's a ton of math, though I might pick up some popsickle sticks and play around with them so she can see what I'm trying to say.

Sometimes I wonder if this is anything like what being married is, if this is laying the foundation for anything further on. My folks are good people, don't get me wrong, though I could never say what being married was like if I were to use them as an example. They just don't show what they're feeling all that much. They're quiet people, and I respect that, though it's not for me. Not at all. Who needs being buttoned up all the time like that? I don't mean being crazy and rowdy, either. Or wierd. Like the guy who runs the theater. Or his wife for that matter. She's one for the books, let me tell you. She comes by a couple times a month, just stops in, wisking through the lobby in her styled hair and boots and her long coat looking like leopard skin or whatever. She's a small woman. That was the first surprise. The second surprise was the in-your-face attitude she has. Everything with her is right up front and tough, even though she tries to hide it behind this cute little voice. It's like she has to grab hold of the conversation from the start, or she sees herself at a disadvantage. It's so wierd.

So much for our hero. (He still has no name. Maybe you can come up with one.) Enjoy the dive.

Bob

No comments: