Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Snow Day!

The public and private schools declared a snow day for today last night and DS, the temporary school bus driver, and I think they jumped the gun.  We got about 4" of wet, slushy snow overnight and it's snowed most of the day but only added maybe half an inch to the total.  When the plow came by this morning it left the street wet--and our street isn't one that gets the salty slurry sprayed on it, we get sand.  I think the Great Plains states got the "snow-mageddon" they were threatening us with but by the time it got to the Great Lakes it had lost quite a bit of its fury.  It was windy this afternoon but the kind of snow we got doesn't blow and drift very enthusiastically so--no "snow-mageddon" for us, only a snow day to annoy working parents.



When I was out clearing the driveways I dragged the neighbor's discarded Christmas tree to the curb (his 12-year-old son played with it) and uncovered this row of daffodil sprouts.  They didn't seem the least bit fazed by their snow covering.



Off the edge of our front stoop right under the mailbox I spied the hyacinths and daffodils poking their noses up like they always do this time of year.  Go, living thing!  Yay, bulbs!




I'm on the second-last strip of the first Log Cabin Mitt.  When I finish the red strip at the top of the block I'll pick up stitches along the left edge using the turquoise yarn. That strip will go from the top to the bottom.  See the right edge?  The gray strip's stitches are on waste yarn as will be the same number of stitches on the last strip on the left edge.  Those stitches will come together and get the thumb knitted in there somehow.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the designer worked that out.  The second mitt will use the same yarn colors but not in the same order.  Hey, you know me.  When did I ever make things that match?

March 6--Adolph von Menzel, The Back Garden.  Betty liked to be up and out in her garden early when the dew still glistened on the leaves.  It was cool then but as the sun rose she felt the temperature rise.  Early morning was quiet in the garden, in the neighborhood too.  No one was out mowing their lawn, no children played ball or ran laughing through the empty lot next door.  The only sounds, besides the early birds over at the feeders squabbling over the best perch, were a few car doors slamming behind the early to work crowd.  She smiled, glad to be retired and no longer going to work.

Did I tell you that Mrs. Boss offered me my job back the last time I stopped in?  I thanked her but can't imagine going back to work.  Ack.  I'm having too much fun making things and cooking luscious food.  Tonight Durwood orchestrated a lovely meal of sauteed onion, celery, carrots, and bell pepper with chopped up meatballs stirred in, a bit of marinara sauce stirred in to hold it together, then stuffed into jumbo pasta shells.  I lined them up in a little casserole dish and then drizzled a bit more sauce over them, as directed.  Steamed broccoli on the side and we were happy campers.  People should want to come eat here.  I need to gather up all the trash and get it and the recycling bins out to the curb before I forget or get too comfy on the couch.  Hasta la vista, babies.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Love those brave little signs of Spring. Always so welcome especially when they're peeking through snow. And I think "Betty" in your prompt might have also been named Barbara Sue! Glad you refused the offer to return to work. No way.