Friday, March 9, 2018

No Luck

Here's what I saw this morning when I went out to check the RAT trap.  The trap was sprung and flung about 3 feet from where I'd put it.  A little corner of it is sticking out of the snow--and the RAT blazed a new path around where I'd placed the trap to get to the birdseed.  Grrr.




The sky looked like it might be more blue than cloudy today and I think maybe percentage-wise it was but it felt more cloudy than sunny to me.







However I did notice a tiny spear of green iris leaves up against the west side of the foundation a few inches from the tuft of green poppy leaves I showed you last week.  Hooray!  I was careful to nudge the dry leaves back over the tiny sprout once I took its picture.  Don't want to steal its blanket that helps it stay warm.




Progress was made on the second Log Cabin Mitts block tonight.  I don't know what else to call it.  I'm hoping that the green tweed holds out for the 14 rows needed to make the next strip.  I guess if it doesn't, it doesn't, I'll just pull it back and make a striped strip.  Hmm, that might be interesting.  I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow since I'm only 2 rows in.


March 9--Paul Gauguin,  Still Life with Fruit.  It was autumn and the only fruits at the market were pears, apples, and one sad-looking bunch of black grapes.  Samuel shrugged and picked out the bruised and misshapen pears, the apples with worm holes, and the grapes.  In his studio he arranged the grapes and a few of the mangy apples in a cut-glass pedestal bowl.  He arranged the rest of the fruit on a rumpled white damask cloth.  A bee buzzed around the bowl, then settled on a grape looking like a bronze pin on a velvet jacket.  Samuel took a gulp of wine from the smoked glass goblet set next to the fruit bowl and then got to work.

We switched oxygen suppliers today since we discovered that Medicare covers the rental of the O2 machine and the tanks for carrying around from this supplier thereby saving us about $115 a month.  The delivery guy warned me that the machine is "very heavy" after grunting his way across the living room.  I told him that I'd spent the last 25 years carrying scuba tanks and didn't think the machine was all that heavy as I moved it the rest of the way into place.  He seemed quite put out that I didn't simper and flap, instead I got the old machine unhooked and unplugged, plugged in the new one, adjusted the flow, and asked him for a nipple that would accommodate the hose since what was there was about three times too big.  Poor old dude. (he was about my age, I'm guessing)  I think he's used to being the savior, the bringer of lifesaving oxygen, and here I took all the wind out of his sails.  I also insisted that he give us the smaller, lighter tanks for Durwood to carry around.  His order said to bring in the 3' tall ones that you have to wheel around on a cart.  That just ain't happening.  Never fear, I'll get them whipped into shape in no time.  Once again I'm up late.  *sigh*  Over and out.
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Your interaction with the oxygen man reminded me so much of your mother. She too had a way of whipping people into shape! Good for you! Sounds like the battle with the rat continues.