Monday, March 19, 2018

Signs of Spring


Even though the high temperature today equaled the low temperature of the past weekend, signs of Spring were everywhere.

When I opened the curtains this morning the sky was clear and blue with the palest of pink on the clouds and when I went out to pick up the newspaper the dawn pink was reflected on the clouds in the west even though it had disappeared in the east.  For some reason that pink reflection on the clouds in the western sky tickles me no end.





Durwood exclaimed that there was a robin at the birdbath, I turned to look and, by golly, he was right.  It's the first robin either of us has seen this year.







Then he commented that the grass on top of the rise in the backyard right below the retaining wall is turning green.  Look!  Green grass.




Peering deep into the hyacinth leaves you can see the tip of the flower stalk just waiting to grow and make a beautiful purple flower.  

I didn't take a walk today.  It was chilly and windy and by the time I had time to walk I was already cold so I decided to wait for a less windy day.  Cold I can endure, it's the wind that cuts through any coat that keeps me indoors.

Yep, spring is on the way all right.  I've been so busy trying to get the rental side of the duplex ready to be shown later this week that I didn't knit or sew today.  I'd show you a picture of the caulking gun and putty knife I used to glue the kitchen cupboard kick board cove back into place but I was afraid I'd glue my finger to the shutter button of the camera.

March 19--Paul Cezanne, Hamlet at Payannet, near Gardanne.  Tucked into the foothills, the little village baked in the summer sun.  The stucco buildings and houses were all the color of biscuits perfectly baked and ready to be buttered.  The red tile roofs looked like currant jam.  Max and Claire felt baked too.  The countryside had been flat and treeless the whole way and the anemic air conditioner in their rental car was worse than not having it at all.  Max parked under a peeling sign that read "Hotel" in poison green letters.  "I hope that means we can get something to drink here," he said, stretching his arms behind his head.  "It's probably too much to hope for that it will be cool inside."  He got out of the car and stood in the powdery yellow dust of the road.  "Did you know that France would be this hot?"  Claire just shook her head, too hot and thirsty to speak.

Maybe I'll go cast on another preemie hat.  It feels odd not to have some knitting progress to show you every day.  At least I'm not sitting here racing to be done with this post by midnight.  That has to count for something.  Tomorrow the carpet cleaners come and also tomorrow I plan to replace the screen in both front storm doors and go to Walmart for new window shades and some simple curtain rods.  On Thursday the replacement countertop is supposed to be delivered to the home improvement store which means I can schedule the handyman and plumber to come early next week and get this thing ready for new tenants.  Almost...
--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Ahhhhh -- those signs of Springs. Especially the robin. Always a welcome sight. Some of the plants in our yard are starting to come back to life after weathering the hurricane last September. The Frangipani has tiny little sprouts at the end of the very bare stalks. Kinda weird looking but still a welcome sight.