Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Sunshine!

At least for now.  The sky isn't clear and blue or anything like that but the clouds are thin enough that the sun is shining through so I believe it's still out there.  For a few days I wasn't sure, it was so gray and overcast.  I had to snowblow yesterday morning.  *sigh*  I didn't want to but I had to since the plow came by and made a drift, albeit a small one, at the end of the driveway.  I like seeing the postman's and the feral cat's footprints in the snow.

I got a little busy yesterday so I didn't get the first two-needle mitten done.  Actually I fell asleep on the couch around 9:15 PM with the needles in my hands and woke up after an hour's "practice nap," took out the trash, and toddled off to bed.  I'll finish mitten #1 today, I'm sure of it.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning remembering that I said I'd make a pot of chili for when DD arrives tomorrow.  It's going to be cold, maybe snowy, and they're not used to living in the tundra so I figured chili would be a welcome lunch.  Good thing we have a well-stocked larder and freezer.  I pulled this together with 5 cans of stuff, a pound of ground turkey, a few spices, and I added a package of frozen corn.  Everyone knows that soup and chili are better the second day.  The house is starting to smell really good.  Do you put noodles in your chili?  I was told not to by half of one kid couple but the other half likes noodles in hers.  Maybe we'll cook some up to serve on the side for those who are noodle-inclined.

November 26--Angela Verdon, Bowl.  The red roses spilled out of the white porcelain bowl Julia was using as a vase.  The room had been ransacked and she stood in the doorway, her hands limp at her sides.  Light glistened on the water spilled on the walnut table and dribbled down onto the floor but she was too shocked to even think of mopping in up.

I think that's not bad for someone who was more than half asleep when it was written.  I get to go to work today so only Durwood will be here to smell the chili cooking, the lucky guy.  If you're driving today, be careful, and have a Happy Thanksgiving.  Eat lots of pie, also cranberry sauce, but not on your pie... although... no, not on your pie.  But you can be sure I'll be trying it.  Just a bite.  Happy Turkey Day!
--Barbara

No comments: