Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Mid-Week Is All I've Got

It's Wednesday, but then you knew that, didn't you?  I get to go to work today, dragging my little knitting bag behind me.  On Monday I had a lot of time to knit on my Fiddlehead sock.  It needs about half an inch before I get to the toe.  Oh!  Speaking of sock toes, on a game show last week there was a question about Lord Kitchener, I don't remember what it was but it had to be about some military or political accomplishment.  All I could think of was the Kitchener Stitch, which is the way most top-down sock toes are closed.  I don't know what one has to do with the other, sounds like something to research in the quiet moments today--if there are any.  Anyway, it makes it look like you knitted straight over the toe, there's no sign that you had 2 needles of live stitches that you convinced to play nice together.  Pretty cool, huh?  I think it's like a magic trick every time I do it.  I'm going to work real hard to get there today.


I have one little forlorn columbine bravely blooming on the (usually ignored) west side of the house and there's an iris bud right next to it.  It's so dry, baking hot, and usually forgotten over there that I need to plant things that can take care of themselves.  I used to have poppies there but they finally gave up the ghost so I'm thinking maybe I'll thin out the daisies in the corner of the garden (where they're staging a hostile take-over) to transplant there.  Maybe some day lilies (ditch lilies, my friend JM calls them) too.

I know you don't really care or have a frame of reference but I want to show you that Beverly's fender no longer has a dent.  It makes me happy.

June 4--Wallerant Vaillant, Portrait of a Boy with a Falcon.  Cale stood in the middle of the dry grass meadow scanning the sky.  The heavy leather glove was hot on his hand but he wasn't ready to give up.  Dart had been gone since sun-up, spiraling through the rising thermals...

Gah!  I fell dead asleep, pencil in hand, and when I woke up I barely had the sense to take off my glasses, put the pencil and notebook on the nightstand, and turn out the light.  I had a bunch more story in mind, which I can no longer remember, of course.  I need to go to bed before eleven o'clock.  I'm off to make lunch, eat breakfast and toddle off.  Shower, too, never fear.
--Barbara

2 comments:

Victoria Jicha said...

Lord Kitchener in fact invented the stitch to close up toes so his troops would have comfortable socks without toe seams. They are one in the same.

Aunt B said...

Another day another bridge game for me. Three this week!!! And I could have played on Tuesday too! You'd think I'd get better. Oh well, at least I'm out of the house. Love that shiny, dentless fender!