Tuesday, January 5, 2021

We Got Some!

Sunshine!  We had some!  For most of the morning!  It was wonderful to see blue sky and bright sunshine this morning.  Of course, by mid afternoon the sky was back to gray and the light was dingy and pale.  But we had sunshine for a while.  Ahh.



And birds came.  As soon as the sun came out this pair of House Finches came fluttering over to the platform feeder to spend a few minutes.  Maybe the birds are like me and just aren't motivated to go out when it's dreary.


This morning I cooked Hoisin-Glazed Chicken and made a pot of rice to put with it.



In the afternoon I put the Balsamic Chicken in the slow cooker and made another pot of rice since there wasn't enough left from the morning's pot.  I know that I usually only cook up one recipe a day but for some reason it felt right to fire up the slow cooker again and get two recipes made in a day.  That means that the one tomorrow will be the last one for this bout.  Good thing too, I'm getting dishpan hands from all the clearing up.

 

05 January--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

            He pulled me down on his lap.  "I can think of a few things."

            I tried to push away.  "Not now, Iggy, I'm not in the mood."

            He leaned his forehead to touch mine.  "Not that I am not in favor of that activity and hope that it figures into part of the weekend plans, I was thinking we deserved a weekend off.  I can teach you to fish, you can come to my house for supper, and we will watch the stars light up the sky."

            "That sounds like a good plan."

            He lifted me off his lap and stood up.  "How about you pack a bag and come down my end of the island for the weekend?  There is a party on the beach most Saturday nights.  We can dance and eat and you can stay by me."

            I grabbed a small bag and started packing a few things.  "Are there loudmouth roosters in your neighborhood too?  I'm hoping to get to sleep a little bit later tomorrow."

            He started laughing and couldn't stop but managed to choke out, "All roosters are loudmouths."


Today's toss was a small stack of Tupperware containers that I never use and that were cluttering up the cupboard.  I poked around looking for the right size containers for the Hoisin-Glazed Chicken (didn't find what I wanted) but I did find a few bowls with lids that I haven't used in ages so out they came and they went straight into a bag and into the back of the car.

Writing today was challenging.  The prompt was to open the newspaper, point to a word without looking, do that three times, and then write a sonnet using those three words.  A sonnet!  I ask you.  When was the last time you dealt with that particular poetic form?  Shakespeare class in college for me.  I had to look up the rhyme scheme and other parameters (14 lines, 10 syllables/line) and nearly wept.  I wrestled with it and got all the lines down but none of them have 10 syllables and they are all crap.  I'm letting it "rest" overnight (okay, I put it in timeout under the table) to see if I like it better in the morning.

And we have freezing fog again.  Ugh.  I decided not to skate to the curb with the trash bins tonight.  I'll save my trash until next week.  When it'll probably be snowing but snow is better than ice.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

You went from sunshine to frozen fog in one entry. No fair!! At least you got some real birds. The fighting crows have claimed my bird feeder as their own. I wonder what happened to that little finch that got trapped in the lanai a while ago. She wouldn't stand a chance against these big black guys.