Monday, January 18, 2021

Squirrel Tummy

 The squirrel that visits the suet cake feeder was being acrobatic this morning.  It evidently nibbled off a good-size chunk because it hung there by its back feet just as comfy as can be, eating what bit of suet it held in its front paws.



At the same time the pair of House Finches were combing through the seeds on the platform feeder.  It looks to me like the male is looking at me as if to say, "What?"


I went to see the doc this morning and found out that I have a small rotator cuff tear (old) and a new strain on a muscle on top of my shoulder.  Both in the same shoulder, thank goodness.  So I have prednisone to take for a week or so before I go back for a recheck.  The steroid is supposed to lessen the pain and, if it works, then I can get a cortisone shot which will last longer.  The doc also mentioned physical therapy.  I'm game for whatever helps my shoulder work and feel better.


Tonight I finished January Cast Sock #2.  I think tomorrow I'll knit a preemie hat.  Just to change things up.  On Thursday night at the guild meeting I'll start a top-down doll sweater that I'm knitting to learn the top-down technique.  I was happy to find the pattern for a doll sweater since LC has dolls that it will fit and I'm not in the mood to knit a me-sized sweater.

19  January--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

Chapter 37

Iggy and I leaped apart as if someone had thrown cold water on us.  I looked over Iggy’s shoulder to see Will standing in the doorway, Elizabeth behind him. 

“What…what are you doing here?” I asked.  “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming, Will?” 

He stomped into the room, dropping the suitcases he was carrying. 

Iggy sidestepped around me, murmuring, “I will just get my tools in order…” and hot-footed it out of the room so fast I don’t think his feet touched the floor. 

Will was glaring after Iggy’s retreating back so I reached out and engulfed Elizabeth in a hug.  “Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?” I asked her. 

She shook her head.  “Will wanted to surprise you.  I told him that just showing up when we weren’t sure that we would have a place to stay was foolish, but he said he was certain that by now you would be living here and would appreciate the help.”  She grinned at me.  “I can see you have been able to find quite a bit of help.”  She looked around the just completed kitchen.  “This looks nice, Rose.  How does it work?” 

I shook my head.  “I don’t know.  I haven’t had a chance to use it; it was only finished just before you arrived.” 

Will still had not said a word.  “Well, Will, what do you think?” I asked. 

He turned his head slowly as if his neck had hardened.  “Think?  About what?”  He pointed up the hall.  “Who is that?  And why…” 

“Why was I kissing him?” 

He nodded. 

“Well, that’s Iggy the electrician, Ignatius Solomon is his full name, and I was kissing him because we are dating.” 

Will snorted.  “Dating, huh?  It looked like a lot more than dating from where I stood.” 

I could see Elizabeth shake her head at her husband and stifle a grin.  “Well, if you must know, and it is not your business at all, Iggy and I are doing more than dating.  Happy?” 

My son didn’t look happy.  In fact, he looked as if he had swallowed a particularly bad-tasting bug.  “Too much information,” he said, holding up his hands to ward off any more confessions. 

I crossed my arms over my chest.  “Well then, you shouldn’t have asked.”  I heard Iggy start out the front door and called to him.  “Iggy, please come back into the kitchen.  I want you to meet my son.” 

Will’s eyes widened and he shook his head violently like he used to when he was little and did not want to do something.  “Hey, buddy, you barge in on me unannounced and you play the game by my rules,” I told him. 

I could tell by Iggy’s slow, sliding footsteps that he was just as reluctant to be introduced as Will was, but neither of them were foolish enough to tell me no.  Will was familiar with what happened when you made Mama mad, and Iggy had a very well developed sense of self-preservation; he had to in order to have weathered the onslaught of single, divorced, and widowed women after his wife had died. 

I made the introductions properly.  Emily Post would have been so proud of me, and both men were polite. 

Iggy left quickly, saying, “I will talk to you on Monday, Rosie.” 

I walked him out to his truck, pinning Will in place with one of those looks.  “Oh my god, Iggy,” I said, “I never imagined that he would do something like that.  I am so sorry that he was rude to you.”  

He shook his head.  “I do not mind.  He is just trying to care for his mother as best he can.”  He leaned down and kissed my cheek. 

I turned my head quickly to catch his lips with mine.  “I’ll find out how long they’re staying and call you.  If the gods are on our side, they’ll leave on Monday.” 

His arm slid around me and he pulled me to him for a kiss and a squeeze before he slid into his truck and pulled away. 

I wanted to shout, “Chicken” or run after him and make him take me along.  I dragged my feet walking back into the Seaview knowing that the next hour or so would be trying.  Will would be all over me and the place asking pointed questions, implying that I don’t know what I am doing.  I love my son, I really do, but sometimes he is a trial. 


I forgot to toss something today but I'll remember tomorrow.  Cross my heart.

The prompt today was right up my alley.  It said: You are floating on the ocean. How do you feel?  It took me maybe five minutes to fill up the allotted space.  I could have gone on and on... and on.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That shot of the squirrel is amazing. And I love that inquiring look the bird is giving you. Sorry about your shoulder pain but good you're taking care of it. Just pace yourself for the next few weeks. OK??