Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Critter Free

I didn't see one critter today.  No  squirrels.  No birds.  I went out and scraped yesterday's dusting of snow off the driveway and didn't see or hear anything then either.  Guess all the urban wildlife was on strike today.

I did notice that it's staying light later these days and getting later.  This is from 4:45pm and you can see that the sun isn't diving below the horizon, it's still perched above T & M's house.  The weather guy said the other day that by the end of the month it'll still be light at 5:30pm.  Hooray!



Tonight was my turn to host the Bay Lakes Knitting Guild Zoom social knit.  We had six attendees and people left early to walk dogs and call it a night but we had a nice chat, a few laughs, and pledged to meet again next week.  I knitted on the last cast sock I'll get out of that variegated yarn that I've been knitting with for what feels like forever.  I got a hat and three cast socks out of the skein with that little handful left.  Sadly it isn't enough to do anything with.  Will I throw it away?  Maybe.

 

27 January--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview.

The current wasn't nearly as strong at the surface but we all stayed down at the end of the line so none of us got conked by the hull or ground up by the props.  It took a few minutes for the boat to come up alongside and I saw that there was a current line trailing from the stern.  When we saw that we weren't under the boat, we all signaled "ascend" with an extended thumb, and went to the surface together without letting go of the safety sausage tether. 

            Will was nearest the stern and threw his arm over the current line.  He reeled the rest of us in and made sure we were safe before coiling the safety sausage tether in his free hand.  I could see both Freddy and Dougie standing next to the boarding ladder, ready to take our fins and help us aboard.

            "What happened down there?" Dougie asked as he pulled Marie up the last rung of the ladder onto the deck. 

            "Current," she said, "strong current," and she walked over to a bench where Freddy helped her secure her tank and remove her buoyancy control device.  She looked at the palms of her hands.  "Do you have something to take away the sting?"

            By then we were all back on the boat.  Will and Elizabeth were huddled together, his arms wrapped around her, her face in his chest.  He wrapped a towel around her and held her, rubbing her back, saying "We're okay, we're all okay," over and over.

            Freddy removed a first aid kit out of a box on deck and pulled out a bottle of golden brown liquid.  He dug a bowl out of the same box and emptied the liquid into it.  "Here," he said to Marie, "soak your hands in this."

            Marie looked at it.  "What is it?"

            "Vinegar," he said, "it is the only thing that might take away the sting.  Do not use fresh water on hydroid stings, it makes them worse."

            Just as he said that I dipped my hands into the rinse bucket and the skin on my palms lit on fire.  "Oh, I wish you'd said that sooner."  I shook off the water and dabbed my hands on my towel.  "Do you have more vinegar?"  Freddy shook his head.

            Marie came to sit beside me.  "Here, Mom, we can share."

            So there we sat on the ride back to shore, all four of our hands tangled up in Freddy's bowl of vinegar.  Will volunteered to go up to Vista Market when we got back to Sydan's to get a gallon of the stuff.  He's a good man.


Today's toss was yet another flannel shirt.  One more shirt to go before I have to go digging for tosses again.

It didn't take me long to write today's prompt.  The prompt was: someone who broke your heart wants to hook up again, will you go?  My answer was a curt "NO" followed by "I have more self-respect than that."  Short and to the point.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

That little bit of left-over yarn could be today's toss. But maybe it's too small to count. Longer days are good -- especially if they're sunny. So glad you have your knitting buddies to Zoom with.