Monday, January 4, 2021

Stalking the Tame Chicken

Today's recipe was Chicken Cacciatore in the slow cooker.  Did you know that cacciatore means hunter?  So this is a nice, tomato-y hunter's stew made with chicken thighs from the grocery.  Tame chicken.  Once again the pervasive aroma of cooking bell peppers and other savory things taunted me all afternoon.  As before I nibbled on a small bit of chicken and an olive or two when I was portioning it out.  It's good.



The squirrel visited the suet cake feeder today and I caught its leap from the birdbath to the feeder.  Usually I get it just after it does something interesting but this time I got it.  You can see how dreary and gray it was today.  This picture was taken just after noon.  I'd like some sunshine, please.  Even partly sunny would help.


Just as the light faded this afternoon the Downy Woodpecker came to the suet pellet feeder.  I was smart enough to turn off the flash before taking about a dozen shots to get one where the bird is visible.


 


While the chicken crockpot-ed I knitted on the mitten, getting through the thumb gusset and into the hand.  Powering through the cuff yesterday made my hand ache so I took it easy today.



Lala finished her art assignment and we agreed to do the Caption assignment next.  It was an easy one that asks you to look at a drawing of a pair of work boots on a page and think of a caption for it.  They recommend a quote or a piece of a song or poem but all I could think of was how smelly my great-grandpa's feet were so that he was made to set his boots out on the back step.  So I finished an art assignment and enjoyed a memory all at the same time.

04 January--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

Chapter 32

            I left Iggy and Silas with their heads together trying to figure out how best to get back to work while I hurried back to Sydan's to call Dru Brooks.

            "Rose," she said when I identified myself, "it is so good to hear from you.  How is the renovation coming?  Calvin just mumbles and grunts when I ask him about it."

            I wasn't surprised that he didn't want to discuss what went on the last day he worked at the Seaview but I didn't say anything.  "Oh, up until last night things were going well."

            "What changed?"

            "The man from Anguilla Health & Safety Commission stopped by at the end of the day," I felt a lump rising in my throat.  "He saw that there isn't a working toilet and locked us out until we get one.  So I'm calling to ask..."

            She didn't let me finish.  "Calvin is out in his shed puttering, I will fetch him and send him right over.  Do not fret, Rose, he will get there as soon as possible."

            I exhaled, not aware that I'd been holding my breath.  "Thanks, Dru, I appreciate it."  I almost said good-bye but then remembered.  "Oh, he'll have to get the key from Gerald LeMoinette who put his own padlocks on the doors and will only give the key to Calvin."

            It was quiet on her end of the phone.  "Oh-h-h-h.  Now I understand.  Gerald's nephew is the one who lit that fire in your place and got into trouble for it."  She clicked her tongue.  "That is very unprofessional of him.  I will be speaking to his supervisor first thing on Monday."

            "No!" I said.  "No, please, Dru, don't say anything until after the toilets are in and he has approved that we're fit for habitation.  I have a feeling he could make our lives miserable if provoked."  I waited for her response.

            "I will do as you ask, Rose," she said.

            "Thank you, Dru, I really appreciate it."

            "But as soon as Calvin is through and the work is approved I am going down to that supervisor's office to give him a piece of my mind.  We can not allow such a petty person's actions to damage the reputation of Anguilla's government.  My father was Governor, you remember."

            I heard the pride in her voice.  "I remember, Dru, thank you.  Please ask Calvin to come over as soon as he gets the key."  Iggy rapped on the door and walked in.  "I'll talk to you soon, Dru, and thanks again.  Good-bye."

            I put the phone down, turned my face into Iggy's chest, and started to cry.  He wrapped his arms around me and held me as I wept into his chest.  He didn't try to soothe me or make me stop crying, he just rubbed my back and every once in a while pressed his lips to the top of my head.

            I got myself under control and straightened up.  "Thanks," I said.

            "My pleasure."  He smiled down at me.  "This is not the first time salt water has dampened my clothing."

            I stepped over to the bedside table for a few tissues.  I turned my back and blew my nose.  "I don't know why I'm so upset.  Calvin will get the bathrooms finished, LeMoinette will take off his signs and give us back our padlocks, and we'll keep going."

            "You are dealing with a lot all by yourself."  Iggy took my hand, led me to the couch, and we sat.  "I am amazed that you have not cried more."

            I nestled into his shoulder.  "It hasn't been all that bad.  I've been too busy to sit and feel sorry for myself but being locked out of the Seaview, out of the place that I've dreamed of and planned for and sunk almost all of my money into, that was the last straw, I guess."

            The phone rang.  I crossed to the bedside table to answer it.  It was Calvin Brooks.  "Mrs. Rose, this is Calvin.  Dru says that you are locked out because there are no toilets in yet."

            "That's right, Calvin.  I'm hoping you can come and get one installed this weekend.  I hate leaving the place empty."

            His heavy sigh nearly blew my ear away from the phone.  "I am sorry to say that Gerald LeMoinette is off the island for the weekend.  I suspect he is gone on purpose.  I will not be able to get a key until Monday morning."  He sighed again.  "I am sorry, Mrs. Rose.  I will come as soon as I get the key."

            I put down the phone and turned to Iggy.  "Gerald LeMoinette has left the island for the weekend," I told him.  "Calvin can't get the key until Monday.  What are we going to do?"


Once again the weather was freezing fog so there was no temptation to go out.  I'd like to go out and take a walk but I'm afraid that the snow on the street would be slick and we don't have sidewalks on this block.  One broken ankle was enough for my lifetime.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I'm impressed with your flying squirrel shot. I can't figure out how to zoom with my phone camera so can't get a picture of the crows at my bird feeder. We have lots of those raucous birds around here. The picture of the work boots reminded me of the one you've had planted with succulents. One of your dad's I think? But nice memory of Grandpa and Grandma. That's a neat gift your friend sent.