Saturday, January 9, 2021

Almost Normal

I had an almost normal afternoon today.  First I stopped at my friend LB's no-touch yarn porch.  She's the chairwoman of charity knitting for the Guild and has set up her porch with the logbook and bags of yarn and project patterns for people to pick up.  So I stopped to drop off a bunch of toe caps and preemie hats and pick up some bulky yarn.  She and I visited for a few minutes, masked and socially distant, before I left, just like we would have in normal times.  I stopped for gas on my way, just like I would have on a normal day.  Then I went to DS's house to visit and give LC her birthday gifts.  We had a nice visit, masked and socially distant, until time for DS to make a lemon meringue pie for their dessert.  (I would have liked to stay for that.)  See?  An almost normal afternoon.


Some Goldfinches came to the platform feeder this morning.  It was another dreary day with a few peeks and pokes of sunshine late in the afternoon.



I put some chicken breasts into the slow cooker this afternoon because I'm out of cooked chicken for soups and chicken salad.  It's just nice to have some 2-cup packages in the freezer for when I want to make a quick vat of soup.  Plus it makes a few cups of rich broth to have on hand.


I couldn't resist starting a hat project with one of the skeins of yarn I picked up today.  The color changes make it easy to keep knitting.  I'd have gotten farther into the next color but my chicken was done so I had to put the knitting down to go out to cut up and package the chicken and get it into the freezer.  Now I'm definitely going to have to knuckle down and wash dishes tomorrow.  (I put it off until I have a pile of the ones that don't go into the dishwasher.)

09 January--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

Chapter 34

            Dusk had fallen by the time we got out of the shower.  Any relaxation I felt fled at the thought of walking down those stone steps and up the beach to face Iggy's neighbors.  I had seen four women pass by the house, each of them slowed down and craned her neck to see in.  I wasn't looking forward to being in the midst of them.  I was sure word had gone out all over the island and feared that the same gang of women who had monopolized Iggy's time at the jump-up at Johnno's a few weeks ago would be at the beach party.  I hoped for the cold shoulder but feared they'd corner me behind a rock or dune and do more than just tell me "Yankee, go home."

 

            Iggy pulled a hamper out of a back closet, putting plastic plates, two sets of silverware, and a pile of napkins into it.  He showed me where to find the big slotted spoon for the ceviche and covered the bowl with a double layer of plastic wrap.  "I will carry the bowl, you can carry the hamper.  Ready?"

            I could feel my throat close a bit.  I nodded and croaked out, "Ready."

            He looked at me, put down the bowl, and came over to wrap his arms around me.  "Do not worry, Rose, everyone will like you.  These are nice people."

            I frowned up at him.  "Even the women?  Even Mrs. Whiting?  She didn't look like she wanted to be friends when we arrived, and there's been a steady stream of women by here all day that I am certain don't want to be pals either."

            He chuckled.  "They were my late wife's friends, they are just looking out for me."

            I didn't believe that for one minute but didn't say anything.

            He kissed me on the forehead, then turned to pick up the bowl again.  I grabbed the hamper handles and followed him out.  He left a yellow light burning on the screened-in porch and led me to the edge of the bluff.  There was enough light left in the western sky to navigate the steps to the beach and I could see a circle of tiki torches and milling people in a wider sandy area up the beach a short distance.  Iggy slowed his steps to walk beside me.  "Do not worry.  Everyone will like you."

            I looked at him out of the corner of my eye.  "Um-hum."

            Soon someone caught sight of Iggy and called out.  "Here comes Ignatius Solomon and..."  A hush fell over the crowd as everyone peered outside the torch lit circle to see who walked beside Iggy.

            "It Mrs. Rose," said a familiar voice.  It was Edward who had worked for me from the first day of the renovation.

            I felt a smile curve my lips and lift my cheeks.  "Edward," I said, "I didn't know you lived down here at this end of the island."

            He came up and took the hamper from me.  "Yes, Mrs. Rose, I lives in the peely blue house at the end of the point."  He leaned over to softly say, "You watch that Mrs. Whiting, Mrs. Rose, she not happy that you here at all.  She tell her friends that you steal Iggy away but I tell her no, you a fine woman and Iggy smart enough to see that."

            I leaned toward him and kissed his cheek.  "Thanks, Edward, save me a dance, will you?"

            He laughed his big, hearty laugh.  "Oh yes, Mrs. Rose, you and me will dance the night away."


Today's toss was... oh, dear, I forgot to toss anything.  Um, the toss was a half dozen toe caps and a half dozen baby hats.  Yeah, that's it, I took them to LB's house for her to donate.

Writing wasn't bad today, not terribly inspired, but not terrible.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

Yay! Sounds like a nearly normal day. Glad you got out and about for a while. But too bad you didn't get any of that pie DS was making.