Saturday, January 30, 2021

All I Did Was Knit

That was my day today, a knitting day.  In the morning after yog-ing, dressing, and tossing, I finished January Cast Sock #4.  The remaining yarn looked like it might be enough for another one so I weighed the cast sock, 17 grams, and then weighed the yarn, 17 grams.  Hmm.  Maybe if I fudge the rounds a bit I can eke out another one.



I was happy and surprised to see one Junco under the feeder.  I went out afterwards and dumped a bit of cracked corn birdseed out of the feeder to see if I can't attract a few more birdies.  Tonight I see that I've attracted a bunny rabbit.



I spent most of the day knitting on the Happy Campfire Sock.  I got through the leg, knitted the heel flap, turned the heel, and decreased the gusset stitches.  Now I have seven inches of foot to knit before it's time for the toe decreases.

30 January--Barbara Malcolm, The Seaview. 

Work went so much faster I could not believe it.  By the end of the day on Wednesday all of the painting, inside and outside, was completed.  I had been banished to my sewing machine to complete embellishing the sheets and towels because on Thursday morning the men started carrying in the beds and dressers for the guest rooms. 

I had to take a walk when they were doing that because I cringed every time something hit a wall and made a ding in the new paint.

Iggy caught up to me, putting his arm around my shoulders as I walked.  I leaned my head on his shoulder. 

“I’ve been missing you,” I said. 

He squeezed me to him.  “Me, too.”  He leaned down to nuzzle my cheek and to plant little kisses around my ear. 

“Mm, that feels great.” 

He pulled me behind an overturned boat on the sand and sat down, tugging me onto his lap.  “Is there any chance you can have a date with me tonight?” 

I thought it was funny to think that two adults way into middle-age were frustrated because their kids were around keeping them apart.  “Maybe I can sneak out after supper.  They came down here, spending their vacation time, to help me get the Seaview up and running.  I can’t just run off, can I?”   I leaned in and kissed him with a lot of promise but I could see that was not the answer he was hoping for.  “They’ll be going home soon.”

His hand crept up under my shirt and stroked the underside of my breast which had slid out of the bottom of my sports bra.  “Kissing is not all I miss.” 

A shiver ran through me and I ground my bottom into his lap.  “I’ll meet you on Tamarind’s front porch around eleven-thirty, okay?” 

He pulled my head down and kissed me, darting his tongue into my open mouth.  “It will have to be okay.”  He helped me up and stood up himself not letting go of my hand. 

We brushed off the sand that had clung to our sweaty skin and started back to work a little more as the sun sank lower toward the horizon.

I felt like a teenage actress in a bad B movie all evening, waiting until the kids went to bed before sneaking out to meet my boyfriend.  I had been working the kids hard enough all week that Will and Elizabeth excused themselves shortly after supper and Marie got into bed to read before ten. 

I changed out of my supper clothes and into a clean pair of shorts and a tee shirt.  I was putting my feet in my sandals when Marie looked up from her book.  “Where are you off to, Mom?” she asked. 

I looked at the clock; it was just past eleven.  “Oh, I need to take a walk.  I’ve spent the last two days hunched over that sewing machine and I need exercise.” 

My daughter looked at me as if she wanted to question my story but then she just said “oh, of course” and looked back down at the page. 

I went out and almost had the door shut behind me when I heard her say, “Tell Iggy not to keep you out too late.” 

Busted but grinning I walked down past Johnno’s which was dark already and out onto the beach.  The moon was up making a silver path on the water that looked wide enough to walk on and dark figures sitting on the sand told me that Iggy and I were not the only people to have the idea to meet on the beach.  I walked down past the Seaview and glanced up to see Silas sitting on the porch in one of the rockers.  He raised his hand but didn’t speak.  I smiled and nodded and walked on.  The little houses in the neighborhood at the end of the bay were all dark under the streetlamp and Old Reynaldo’s goats were quiet in their fenced pen. 


Today's tosses were three of the flannel dresses I made last winter.  They're just too big and I can't take them in.  They should keep someone else warm.

The writing prompt today asked about an inspirational teacher and I realized that I really didn't have one.  Oh, I had lots of teachers I liked but I couldn't choose one that had a big impact on my life.  Pity.

--Barbara

1 comment:

Aunt B said...

I like the name of that yarn -- Happy Campfire. It sounds and looks cozy. Wonder who chooses the names for things. Someone with a better imagination than me.