Monday, April 28, 2008

Turning Frogs Into Guinea Pigs

Remember those House Socks I was making out of that Super Bulky Lion Landscapes yarn? Well, I was decreasing the gusset stitches on my way to the foot and realized that I had nearly 55 yards (an entire skein) in it, which would mean that I'd use 4-55 yd. skeins of fairly expensive yarn to make a pair of slippers. Slippers, people, something you wear around the house to keep your feet warm. Seemed like a lot of yarn for not a lot of output. I wanted to make the yarn last longer, plus my hands were aching from knitting super bulky yarn on size US 6 DPNs. Off to the frog pond went the slipper. Ribbit!

I still wanted to make slippers, though, and I wanted to use that yarn so I went to my favorite free pattern site and found 3 patterns using thicker yarn and bigger needles--Dorm Boots, Three Strand Slippers, and Bulky Yarn Booties. Yay!

I immediately made a pair of the Three Strand Slippers--fast and easy on size US 11s, although I thought they looked like Guinea Pigs when I was making the toe so that's what I'm calling them--they used about one and a half skeins for the pair. And I also knit the first 18 rows on straights rather than try to cram 24 super bulky stitches onto a DPN and keep them from sproinging off the other end.

I cast on Dorm Boots (size US 10s) next and am just past the 10 rows of garter stitch that forms the bottom. Next comes the stockinette body with every row decreases up the foot.

I think it's safe to say I'm on a slippers jag.


Oh, and this morning? It's snowing. Ugh.

No comments: