Friday, April 18, 2008

Poetry

I had an epiphany last night. Since this is a writing blog and what I'm writing right now is poetry I can put my poems on here. Blog entries don't have to be prose. Right? Right.

Excellent meeting last night. Jenny, your "box" exercise was fun and very creative. I like having things to touch as inspiration. Excellent words were written too. I think everyone had a moment of brilliance. We rock.

Since I'm going to Poetry Camp late next month and April is poetry month, I linked our blog to Poetic Asides, the blog of the poetry editor of Writer's Digest, who is publishing a month of prompts for a Poem-A-Day Challenge. I brought some to writer's last week (you remember) and I'm trying to keep up so I'll have some raw material for Poetry Camp. Here's what I wrote for the 15th's prompt:

Paying Our Taxes

Cha-ching,
the check's in the mail.

With privilege comes
responsibility, they say,
but I want a few more
privileges to equal out
the crushing amount of
"responsibility" we've just
shelled out.

I want Uncle Sam
out there mowing my lawn,
raking last autumn's leaves
that always manage to
overwinter in sheltered spots.
Maybe the governor will
drop by to till the garden,
the mayor may come to dust and vacuum,
or our alderman might fold the wash.

Judging by the amount of $$ I just mailed off
and what I get out of them
they're all overpaid.
~~~~~~~~~

There it is, such as it is, in all its first draft-y glory. Later, dude & dudette.

--Barbara

No comments: