Saturday, April 26, 2008

I Love My Job...

And last Monday proved it once again. I work in a scuba shop selling dive gear and certification classes. I work 3 days a week and I never have to be there before 10 AM. Most of my customers are in a good mood and happy to be there; they're interesting people, have interesting lives and are, therefore, fun to talk to. Sometimes it's very quiet there. Sometimes when the economy is a little shaky, people keep their money to pay rent and buy food and other non-luxury things, and the dive shop is a bit deserted. My boss doesn't mind if I read or write or knit while I'm there, as long as I get my work done and jump up and wait on customers when they come in, I'm conscientious about doing just that. It's been very quiet lately so I've been getting a lot of crossword puzzles and reading and knitting done. Last Monday I hit upon the perfect non-busy work activity--I watched a DVD while knitting at my desk. Getting paid. Seems a bit like stealing and makes my Germanic work ethic self feel slightly embarrassed about it, so I won't do it too often, but damn, it was fun.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Yay for movies! What did you watch?

I am firmly of the opinion that, as long as the work is done, it's not bad to knit or watch movies or whatever. You can only dust so meny times!

Ann said...

"Meny," she types. Yikes.

Barbara said...

I watched Lars and the Real Girl. Jenny brought it over after she watched it and said it was good. It wasn't as funny as I thought it would be but it was good.